• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Always the last to know....Forespar whisker pole

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I took the flying end off my 2 year old Forespar aluminum line-control whisker pole because the cam had locked up.

20200815_114043.jpg

First I tried oiling it, which I later read Forespar specifically cautions against. Then I removed the spring and cut 3-4 turns of wire off to shorten it. It works much better with the shortened spring.

Only about this time did I realize that this fitting isn't made of aluminum, like I had assumed, but gray plastic. Hmm...

Still seem sturdy enough, and it won't corrode. Maybe that explains the warning against lubricating it. Some Plastics don't tolerate oils well.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I suspect that the fitting is reinforced plastic. Further, having rebuilt our old Forespar trigger type ends a couple times, I did not like having to deal with a lot of bi-metalic corrosion between the aluminum casting and the SS parts.
If I were boating in salt water, I would probably flush these parts out monthly with pressure fresh water.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
It's a Forespar 10-18, so 10-18 ft is the range. I believe the OD is 2.5" but it's all on the Forespar website.

Interestingly, the inboard pole end (that hooks to mast) IS made of aluminum, unlike the flying end. Makes sense--there is a lot of stress on the inner fitting.