• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Americas Cup Wk2

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Week 2 competition is broadcast live from NZ tonight on NBC Sports channel. I believe it starts @ 11p EST. American team struggled in the opening rounds and while leading in their last race they capsized rounding the last mark. Doesn't look much like "real" sailing but definitely wild to watch.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Now, 'Rona has messed things up - maybe so much that the Prada Final may have to be cut short to meet prescribed scheduling agreements. Auckland was put back into their highest Covid containment level (3) over the last few days and only last night was dropped back to the moderate level (2). Unless it drops to normal (1) by Friday, it looks like racing won't restart until the following Friday, which you probably mean the series has to be shortened. That would make it very hard for INEOS to catch up to, and pass, Prada before the series ends. That's looking like a big ask anyway, without the prospect of the series possibly being shortened to keep on-schedule.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Yep, It looks bleak & if they don't resume by Friday it may be shortened. With how the first 4 went not sure it would matter. Although the Brits had some horrendous starts(almost capsized in one prestart maneuver) the Italians widened the lead in every race. That boat (Italian) has just been faster so far.

p.gazibara

Member III
Level 3 is definitely not their highest lockdown level. Still allowed gatherings up to 100 people.

It’s kind of ridiculous to me that the races are still going on. They are not allowing spectators. After they spent so much on improving the waterfront for the races.

I suppose this is why I’m just a sailing vagabond and not the person making these decisions.

They are sailboats in the end and we all know what happens when you try to sail on a schedule.

-p

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Well covid has changed ALL things we know. They are talking about having the Olympics with no spectators, can't imagine the $$ loss after all the infrastructure cost and expectant tourism income totally washed away from the bottom line.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Level 3 is definitely not their highest lockdown level. Still allowed gatherings up to 100 people.

It’s kind of ridiculous to me that the races are still going on. They are not allowing spectators. After they spent so much on improving the waterfront for the races.

I suppose this is why I’m just a sailing vagabond and not the person making these decisions.

They are sailboats in the end and we all know what happens when you try to sail on a schedule.

-p
You're right - Level 4 is their highest level:
But 100-person gatherings are only allowed in Level 2 (as they are in today)

Last edited:

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Looks like racing on Saturday (Friday night for us). No spectators so they are going to use courses that are away from the village & land vantage points.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Looks like racing on Saturday (Friday night for us). No spectators so they are going to use courses that are away from the village & land vantage points.
Auckland has a population of ~1 million, with an average boat ownership rate of about 1 boat per 3 people - we can expect the on-the-water spectator fleet to be enormous this weekend because that's the only way to legally watch the racing in small groups under current Covid rules. I lived in Auckland in my teens and 20s - sure wish I could be there to experience this AC ;-)

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
While this is technically sailing(I think ?), after watching the last few weeks I am not sure. The longer I watched the less I cared about the result. It is totally unrelatable to what we think of as sailing. The "grinders" are an attempt to make it look like a crew sport but from what I can tell they are just human power for all the hydraulic systems. It is like putting wings & turbines on Indy 500 cars and flying them around the track, technically they are still racing around the brickyard but....? I would much rather watch "the old" mono hulls with the crew trimming sails and bounding from rail to rail. Curious who has watched and what your thoughts are at this point.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I enjoy the technology aspect and the sheer insanity of seeing a "boat" basically flying. But I agree the racing itself is not very inspiring. When one boat gets a lucky puff and starts foiling and ends up at the other end of the race course while the other is still in displacement mode it seems pointless. Mono hull racing was probably quite boring to the non-sailing public, but it was more fun to watch and identify with as a sailor. So despite watching a few races, my interest has never been captured to the point of really getting into it. Frankly, I would rather watch Leo rebuild Tally Ho!

Edit: watching it in person from a boat along the course would probably change my attitude completely. But not on TV.

Teranodon

Member III
I've been watching the highlights, but with declining interest. I think that the root of the problem is that the boats are going too fast, so they basically avoid each other. There isn't enough time for the tactician to think and decide when a crossing is imminent: tack, duck or cross? The other problem is that you have to look very closely to see whether the boats are on an upwind or downwind leg. In the kind of racing that I do, spinnaker handling is often the deciding factor, because there are so many ways to mess up (for example, broaching to windward on SF Bay!). As in other areas of life, advanced technology has stripped the life and pleasure out of something wonderful.

p.gazibara

Member III
Got out to see the races this weekend. What and amazing spectacle! 2000 boats all anchored around the course, from 20’ day sailors and foiling windsurfers, to mega yachts and helicopters.

We anchored out and watched the Italians win one and then get completely dusted by the kiwis. You can definitely tell who is ahead and behind while watching from the cockpit. Super cool.

Capped the day off with a bit of spearfishing and the resulting fish curry.

The Haraki Gulf is stunning, what a cool experience in the city of sails.

-p