• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

An “1994” Olson 34 for sale ..now that’s interesting

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very Unusual Olson.
From way out of left field. New to me.

Only possible explanation is that this was the only one built from the salvaged molds, post EY closure, by a company in Pt Townsend.
AFAIK they produced only one or two finished boats and their name/model was "Sonic" Yachts and they sold the re-badged Olson as a Sonic 34. 1995 might be about right for the year, IF that's the one. But if it is, they would have to call it a Sonic, and the HIN would reflect this, too.
Matter of fact I'd love to view that HIN code.

Also, the first one that they built was featured in a local magazine article and IIRC was not a bespoke boat, but rather was built on spec.

Another possible alternative-- the original owner of this one bought the tooling from the defunct Pt Townsend company and had a hull and deck built out somewhere else. Transom has had a boarding step added (nicely done!) , and the interior wood bits are different than what would be built from the patterns from EY, if they even got the patterns with the tooling.
The engine bay and aft cabin woodwork is different is different, also.
It would be cool to visit and get a close up look at this particular boat.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Whatever it is, it's beautifully done (that electrical panel!!)

And that's an intriguing windlass installation. I wonder how much "structure" they added to keep that pivot-bar from moving under load.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
The keel's an unusual design too for an Olsen, isn't it? - a little like the one I had on a small Beneteau.
I agree - gorgeous fit & finish down below, and the windlass implementation was genius.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The keel is the stock elliptical lead keel, same as ours.
Rudder is deeper, tho.
Indeed, that windlass installation is well done. Nice looking ss work for the anchor chock, also.
And that electrical panel and interior wiring connections.... would do justice to a $$$ yacht twice that long. Envy!!

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
This site has better a better picture viewer. https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1995-olson-olson-34-8095782/
I have been spending time on a friend's new to him O34 bought in Redondo Beach. Interesting to see the similarities and differences with my 911. I really like that custom bow roller on Watermark and that bimini! While if don't like the look of a bimini on a race boat it sure gets hot on the Delta and it would be nice at times to pop something like that up to keep the tops of feet from getting sunburned.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That bimini looks to be an exact sister version to ours. It does keep the sun off... !
Ours is supported totally by the stern rails, and this one looks just like it.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
The keel's an unusual design too for an Olsen, isn't it? - a little like the one I had on a small Beneteau.
I agree - gorgeous fit & finish down below, and the windlass implementation was genius.
Actually a standard Schumacher keel of the era. Remember the O25 and 30 were not designed by Carl and had different keels, but this is the keel Carl was putting on his class of boats when this boat came out in its' various forms (Olson/Ericson, whatever)

Salish Surveyor

Soon will be surveying Watermark for a client. Can anyone give me information on known issues with Olsen 34/Sonic 34's. Thank you in advance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oops. I was planning to try and drive up for a look-see.
Too late now! :(
$69K seemed kinda inexpensive for that particular boat.

The interior mods look interesting, and I would love to view the power panel and the engine bulkhead changes.

Not much to warn you to watch for... this boat was built differently by a totally different company. Like any used boat, you're gonna sound the decks to see if the hardware was properly bedded, right?
If you look thru my pix in my blog entries here about our recent re-fit, you can get a good idea of how things like the shrouds were engineered, along with other views from inside and behind the trim.

Last edited:

Slick470

Member III
I'm sure like Loren, I was trying to think of the list of things I've come across with my Olson and things I've recommended potential and new buyers to look out for, however since this boat was built by a different company than Ericson, it's really hard to say anything specific. I'd look at at the normal older boat stuff. A lot of the issues I've come across with ours have been due to deck leaks or osmosis under the waterline.

One place I would look specifically is around the chainplates and see if you can inspect the tie down plate under the deck. The original Ericson detail was stainless deck plate, with bronze through-deck bolts and an aluminum plate under the deck that transfers the bolts to a nitronic rod tying the whole assembly down to the hull. If there is a leak at the deck, that aluminum plate will be the first thing to start corroding and they aren't available anymore. We had a new SS one machined last time we replaced the standing rigging.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I hope the new owner logs in with the "rest of the story" and some more info about provenance.

Slick470

Member III
Loren, from an acquaintance who knows a bit more about the boat he stated this: "It is technically an Olson 34, but apparently was purchased by the current owner as an incomplete boat from the factory and fitted out by him. He worked at a super-yacht builder in the area. It has a no expense spared vibe to it and has been perfectly maintained for years."

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, from an acquaintance who knows a bit more about the boat he stated this: "It is technically an Olson 34, but apparently was purchased by the current owner as an incomplete boat from the factory and fitted out by him. He worked at a super-yacht builder in the area. It has a no expense spared vibe to it and has been perfectly maintained for years."
I wonder which "factory"?
I used to know the Portland guy that bought the last unfinished O-34 hull from Ericson. He finished it out with different port lights and some other non structural changes. It would have been titled as a 1990 model, I believe. It's up in the Seattle area now for a long time.
The boat in this ad is quite different, so I wonder if it was produced by the "Sonic 34" guys in Port Townsend.
Fun mystery, and we will probably never know for sure. For all we know the molds for the O-34 and the 911 may still be around, somewhere... Maybe...