• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor locker drain hose access on E30+

Mikeshield

Member I
I have some rain water accumulating in the front section beneath the v berth. I suspect the drain hose from the anchor locker to bow needs replacing but cannot work out how to access it.Any suggestions .Thanks,Mike.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Mike,

The anchor locker drain hose is accessed in two possible ways: 1) from inside the boat at the bow end of the V-berth--you have to remove the trim and wood pieces there, and then you will see it; 2) by removing the anchor locker from the deck--the hose is below it.

I did this repair a year ago--had water under the v-berth cushions and under the v-berth. I discovered that it wasn't the anchor locker hose, but rather the caulking which seals the anchor locker was starting to leak. I could see small drips after I removed the piece at the bow inside the boat and looked up at the underside of the anchor locker. The drips were running along the anchor locker bottom (on the inside, not the deck) and dripping down, running behind the vinyl "walls" of the V-berth, had soaked the wood between the V-berth vinyl and the hull (I removed the trim and the vinyl "walls"--not the overhead-- in the V-berth to see that) and was pooling under the holding tank and running into the head. The solution to this was to remove/rebed the anchor locker, dry out the V-berth wood and epoxy it to strengthen it and protect it from any future moisture and re-staple the vinyl in place. While I did that, I also replaced the anchor locker hose (that was the easy part, just remove two hose clamps and twist it off).

If you only need to replace the anchor locker hose, that's a quick job. But I suspect that unless the hose clamp came undone, it's probably your anchor locker that's leaking like mine did.

Good luck--at least it's a doable repair once you figure out what the cause is.

Frank

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Mike,

A couple of other possibilities for the water under the V-berth, less likely than the ones I mentioned earlier, but still a possibility as you try to figure it out. Firstly, if the rubrails have been replaced, a previous owner may have used longer screws than necessary which may have come through the hull, as on my boat. Rain water would run along the rub rail and eventually find its way into the boat through these screws, til I figured it out and sealed them.

Another possibility is the V-berth hatch hinges. If the bedding is old, water can get in through the hinge screws, leak into the headliner at the frame inside the boat and run across and down the headliner/ V-berth vinyl wall and saturate the boards between the vinyl and the hull, eventually ending up below.

Another possibility is a leak in the optional water tank (if you have one) which on the E30+ is under the V-berth. If one of your fittings is leaking you would slowly lose water there.

Good luck in figuring it out. Patience and a methodical diagnostic approach will likely bring good results!

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One comment from up here in the third balcony, if I may...
Many of the 80's Ericsons have a (very!) deep anchor well, dropped in from the deck, and attached with sealant and screws to a recessed flange in the deck mold.
IIRC, the well in the 32-200, could be filled with hot water and used as a hot tub!

Access to the drain hose (and anything around/near the hull/deck joint in that area is very difficult.
Consider adding an access port to both sides of the well. It could be something like a Beckson screw-in solid-center port with gasket. This will never take the place of a proper rebedding of the top flange if that is where the leak originates, but will make a lot of other chores easier, like chasing lighting wiring. Or, maybe servicing that pesky hose in the future.

Mind you, I am often jealous of that deep well, compared to the shallow one in our Olson, but all benifits in boating (and life) seem to come with trade-offs....
:rolleyes:

LB

Last edited:

KanH

Member II
good luck

I tackled this problem last year and found a lot of reasons for water intrusion.
The first thing I found was that the anchor locker drain hose was clogged with debris and split open. Then I saw the stem fitting from the bow was also cracked open and no longer of any use. I assumed water collected in the summer then froze in the winter. The PO used to anchor a lot and I doubt he ever flushed out the locker. Also, all the bases to the bow pulpit needed rebidding which proved to be a bit of a knuckle scrapper from the raw fiberglass surrounding the nuts.
That was the easy stuff. What surprised me was that with the tub out and striped of bedding I found that places along the rim on which the anchor locker tub sits and screwed to was larger in places then the tub leaving considerable gaps. The old beedding disguised their existence. As the bedding dried and cracked it no long kept out water. In fact, some retaining screws where just held in by the old bedding. I was able to epoxy in some treated divinycell strips to fill in the gaps before rebedding.
With the tub out I also discovered that a lot of the wood under the v-berth liner was rotting away due to the water. In addition most if not all the staples holding the liner up were either badly rusted or dissolved.
It was a lot of work but worth the effort.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Loren, be thankful for anything... Us 35-2 owners have no anchor locker problems:egrin:, or lockers:esad:!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Er, yeah... as has been pointed out on another thread, the chain locker on the 29 (is it actually supposed to be a chain locker???) drains directly into the first V-berth locker. Which doesn't drain. Whatever you put in there ends up floating, eventually. It begs for a hose, or a drain outlet, or... something.

sailingjazz

Member II
Anchor Locker Drain Hose

So, I have a E28 (1989). I'm not getting water in the v-birth but quite a bit of water into the bilge when sailing or motoring. None when setting at the dock or the anchored. I suspect the anchor locker hose is split (by process of elimination). What is the easiest way to get to the hose? Will it be long enough to disconnect / reconnect it to the bow fitting when taking the anchor locker out? Any pictures or experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Anchor well drain

Kevin: When I pulled the anchor well for my 87' E-28 this is what I found. Picture attached. A piece of Qest (sp) tubing bent with a kink in it. Whatever sealant applied at the factory had long since failed. The mounting flange for my well had been leaking for quite some time as I discovered some rot on the v-berth bulkhead. I modified things and now a piece of reinforced vinyl tubing passes through the bow. Sealing the sucker was not easy. Had to smear a ton of polysulfide sealant around the vinyl tube which I made about 8" long. To get things to go back into place I had to thread a wire through the vinyl hose and out the hole in the bow of the boat. Then after applying sealant to the mounting flange I slowly lowered the well into place and had my wife pull on the wire to get the vinyl tube through the hole in the bow. I let the sealant harden and then trimmed the excess vinyl off flush with the outside of the hull. Such fun! Also messy.

Last edited: