• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor locker leak question (E35-3)

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
I'd appreciate any comments re: rebedding/solving leaks in the anchor locker of an E35-3 (well, E350, which seems to be related but not quite the same from some of the pictures posted on the forum).

The current pan seems to have been recaulked in the past, and while there is no evidence of current leaks in the V-berth, local sailing conditions guarantee a wet foredeck and it would be nice to just sort it out prior to having leaks in the V-berth (and then having to sort it out anyway).

It seems from other posts (I have tried to search the forums appropriately) that often the pan is bonded to a board underneath, making removal and rebedding very difficult... but I am unsure if this applies to the 350 version. I'm also interested in whether the screws that hold the pan down are just that -- screws that can be removed and replaced -- or through-bolts (which I then cannot access the bottoms of due to the V-berth headliner). Is there a downside to pulling the screws and trying to squirt some caulk/sealant under the rim, then replacing the screws?

Or, getting to my main hope, is there some better resealing approach short of digging though the headliner and/or breaking the pan off underlying wooden supports?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Navman

Member III
On my 38 the pan came out fairly easily. It is secured by screws and sealant. Working the pan off the sealant was the hardest part. A little help from a heat gun and it came right out. Ours was not secured to the V berth bulkhead but was only a few inches away. Go for it. It's a good easy project. Mine took about a day to finish. That included rebedding all of the cleats, stanchion bases etc. which were now accessible. ~ _/) ~~

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
Thanks! This is both appreciated and reassuring. I will feel around for a bulkhead behind the headliner before I get rolling, just in case the E38 is easier to deal with then the E350.