• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchor well leak

We have located a leak in our anchor well and are in the planning stage of the repair. The bottom corner of the anchor well has worn through to the point where we can see light through a pinhole. Our approach will be to remove the anchor well, inspect it and then build up the corner and any other issues we find. Anything else we should be aware of or take into consideration in planning the fix? Thanks in advance. Shannon

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Shannon,
The anchor well in the E30+ is a bit thin and weak in my opinion--ie. don't stand in it during the repair, and any reinforcement you can add is good.
On our boat there were about 20 or more screws to remove, then careful prying under the lip with a one inch putty knife, or similar tool to gradually lift it.
Once removed, it's a good opportunity to rebed the bow cleats, maybe adding backing plates, checking wiring to the bow running light, and replacing the plastic drain tube. Good caulking is needed to reinstall, along with the screws.
It should be possible to do the repair in a good afternoon. A search will likely find lots more on this topic, as it's a common repair.
Good luck!
Frank

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Follow on to Frank's post - When I removed my anchor locker, a lot of the edges chipped off around the screw holes. I ended up rebuilding the edge and re-drilling screw holes all around.
Note: Discovery is a 1983 E-30+

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, the install of an "inspection port" like the ones from Beckson might be appropriate. Maybe one on each side adjacent to the normally-hidden cleat or pupil bases.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If you have the time and inclination, you might consider removing the pan entirely and doing the anchor well modification that I and many others have done, by glassing in a triangular bulkhead. No more leaks into the boat, and much more space for storing chain and rode. And easy access to the bow hardware simply by opening the locker door.

411AF8AB-1EF4-44F4-BE65-DF8C4F4980EC.jpeg