• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchorage in LA harbor/Long beach harbor.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Planning on anchoring in the LA harbor/Long Beach harbor this coming saturday night after a Friday night in twin harbors.

My first though was the anchorage behind white island but I heard there is also an anchorage next to Cabrillo beach (San Pedro). Haven’t been able to look up much more info regarding this spot.

Is this true?
How is this anchorage?
Would it be a better spot than white island?Any information would help. thanks.

Parrothead

Member III
The anchorage off of Cabrillo Beach requires a Harbor Dept. permit (I think) and it is an area exposed to the afternoon winds of Hurricane Gulch (typically 20 knots). There is no swell and there are usually few if any boats anchored there. White Island is completely sheltered, requires no permit (again, I think) but can get crowded.

Roger Janeway

Member II
I spent a night in the Cabrillo Beach anchorage and yes, a police boat of some sort (maybe Dept of Homeland Security? Can't recall) came along to check us out, take my driver's license for a while (maybe checking for outstanding warrants or terrorist watch lists), and eventually issue me a permit to stay the night, which they told me to post in a porthole so that when more patrol boats stopped by at night to check on me, they'd know I had a permit. No charge for the permit. You are very close to international shipping there, so I suppose they are making sure someone in small sailboat doesn't try to blow up a cargo ship.

Aside from this, it was calm and quiet after the party in the nearby public park on shore died down at a reasonable hour.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
The anchorage off of Cabrillo Beach requires a Harbor Dept. permit (I think) and it is an area exposed to the afternoon winds of Hurricane Gulch (typically 20 knots). There is no swell and there are usually few if any boats anchored there. White Island is completely sheltered, requires no permit (again, I think) but can get crowded.
What Parrothead said. However, I'd add that the holding is excellent and you'll be able to anchor in something like 20' (or slightly less?) vs. probably 30+ feet over at Oil Island White. Plus, Island White can sometimes get a crowd whereas the Cabrillo Beach anchorage is often empty or has one or two boats at most. Certainly on a Saturday night you aren't going to have IW to yourself. There's also more boat traffic at IW and issues with wakes than you'll have at the Cabrillo Beach spot. At CB it's a good bet but you will get wind, especially the afternoon westerlies, though likely with flat water.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Hey guys I really appreciate the help!

I guess ill point the boat toward the angels gate lighthouse: So far Im leaning toward the Cabrillo Beach anchorage as I like the shallow water (I have 200’ anchor rode) and the tranquility. I don't mind being checked out by the harbor master and even see it as a safety benefit if they frequently patrol this area.

If i find cabrillo to be too windy it will be a relatively quick downwind run to White island (hopefully).

If anyone happens to see us out there, feel free to stop by and say hi to share a story or a drink, we’re very friendly.