• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchoring question

Gregoryulrich

Member III
I'm heading up to Paradise Cove tomorrow for an overnight trip. It's strange to think I've never anchored my own boats in almost 10 years of boat ownership. I've anchored several times on other's and hundreds of times in my mind so I'm not worried about the procedure. I took stock of my ground tackle last weekend.

30' chain on 180' 1/2" rode
15' chain on 150 3/8 rode
35 lb. Danforth
5kg. Bruce claw
10 lb. Westmarine Danforth knockoff.

For an overnight alone I'm going with the Danforth on the larger line. I haven't yet installed my depth meter so I will probably just use a lead line or guesstimate and pay out 7x scope, reverse at 30% power for 30 seconds yada yada.

One weird thing though. The Danforth anchor has a small tang on the inside of one fluke which only permits the fluke to swing one direction. I haven't seen this before but I assume it's to aid breaking out. Is this common?

paul culver

Member III
I haven't yet tried Paradise so I'm looking forward to hear what you have to say. I've read that kelp in that area can sometimes interfere with the anchor set. Your description of the limited movement of the Danforth flukes sounds like what I have with my WM knock-off, and it has worked for me.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Heads up...

I don't know Paradise Cove well enough to know if this is an issue but be advised there is a very large swell currently running along the west coast. It is forecast to peak later tonight and hold at least through Sat. In San Diego they just closed the Mission Bay Channel entrance due to waves breaking completely across the channel mouth and the Mavericks Big Wave Surf contest is happening today in Half Moon Bay (30'+ waves). NWS calling sets up to 14' for Huntington Beach.

More information: http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=sgx&wwa=high surf advisory

Gregoryulrich

Member III
Thanks for confirming that Paul. I'll post a report when I get back. My shore boat is an inflatable kayak so I shouldn't get hassled when I pull up for breakfast :)

Thanks for the heads up Ryan. I heard Mavericks and Jaws were going off and would have probably have aborted until next weekend after checking the WX.

Last edited:

Gregoryulrich

Member III
I put the trip off until this weekend. Smaller swells are predicted and the weather is supposed to be iffy, which is great. We seem to be running at a wind deficit lately here in MDR. It gives me time to work on the hand pump for the head. Sailing with a woman on board is MUCH different than traveling stag.