• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchoring questions.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
1. On a single anchor Roxanne likes to "Sail at anchor". In windy condition the Ericson 27 will swing nearly 180 degree's which can compromise hold. Is this related to the amount of scope? Will more or less scope make a difference? 2. Other vessels appear to swing also and one solution I have read about is a small sail that attaches to the back stays. Has anyone this type of backstay sail?
Mooring bow and stern on a mooring can is very stable. Can that level of stability be achieved anchoring bow and stern? In other words: how firmly can you tighten your bow and stern anchor lines to avoid sliding around without compromising hold?
Thanks,
Bepi

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I might later patch this question onto an earlier thread about this problem. We do have and like the steadying sail.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
1. On a single anchor Roxanne likes to "Sail at anchor". In windy condition the Ericson 27 will swing nearly 180 degree's which can compromise hold. Is this related to the amount of scope? Will more or less scope make a difference? 2. Other vessels appear to swing also and one solution I have read about is a small sail that attaches to the back stays. Has anyone this type of backstay sail?
Mooring bow and stern on a mooring can is very stable. Can that level of stability be achieved anchoring bow and stern? In other words: how firmly can you tighten your bow and stern anchor lines to avoid sliding around without compromising hold?
Thanks,
Bepi
I learned a lesson about this when I was visiting Hawaii. We were not on my boat, and drove to Waimea Bay on the North Side of Oahu. There is a big wave surf contest here in the Winter.

The boats pictured were very close to the shore. Their tackle seemed to drop straight down and I wondered if they were on sub-surface moorings (which is a thing in Hawaii). I snorkeled out to check out the tackle. No moorings. Both boats had over 100’ of heavy chain. There was no pull on the anchors whatsoever because of the weight of the chain.

This wouldn’t necessarily solve your swinging in the wind problem, but this observation from Hawaii leads me to the conclusion that, just like all the books say, if you want to anchor out with confidence, get a heavy long anchor chain. The swing radius will be much shorter.

38FB9024-F155-4337-8E1A-733C117C999C.jpeg

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I learned a lesson about this when I was visiting Hawaii. We were not on my boat, and drove to Waimea Bay on the North Side of Oahu. There is a big wave surf contest here in the Winter.

The boats pictured were very close to the shore. Their tackle seemed to drop straight down and I wondered if they were on sub-surface moorings (which is a thing in Hawaii). I snorkeled out to check out the tackle. No moorings. Both boats had over 100’ of heavy chain. There was no pull on the anchors whatsoever because of the weight of the chain.

This wouldn’t necessarily solve your swinging in the wind problem, but this observation from Hawaii leads me to the conclusion that, just like all the books say, if you want to anchor out with confidence, get a heavy long anchor chain. The swing radius will be much shorter.

View attachment 43745
I have a fair amount of chain, 60' but it seems more chain for the bow, and stern,will help and the addition of a stabilizing sail will keep me from looking out of my salon and seeing a different view from the stern every few minutes. Cheers!

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
On looking at the photo of the steadying sail I noticed that it is set quite high on the backstay. Rather than reinventing the wheel does anyone have suggestions on how to reach that height? ladder? Swinging over on a boson's chair? What is the best method for securing that sail to the stay and I'm going to guess it's temporary and must be removed when leaving the anchorage and setting sail. I read through the thread and did not see where this was described or at least in terms comprehensible to me.

Last edited:

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
On looking at the photo of the steadying sail I noticed that it is set quite high on the backstay. Rather than reinventing the wheel does anyone have suggestions on how to reach that height? ladder? Swinging over on a boson's chair? What is the best method for securing that sail to the stay and I'm going to guess it's temporary and must be removed when leaving the anchorage and setting sail.
Perhaps I don't understand the question, but I'd guess you hank it on to the backstay, connect the main halyard at the head and a line to the tack for a downhaul. Bring the clew forward to something? Or do you use the halyard to keep the boom up? In which case, maybe piece the anchor sail between the halyard and the end of the boom, and lock the traveler?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
My experience has been that removing an "assymmetry" helps a lot. I remember anchoring on a different boat (a Schock 35) that "sailed" as you describe. We thought this might be because the anchor line went to a bow cleat that was off center - so the boat would yaw back and forth. What we worked out was creating a bridle of sorts - we tied a separate piece of line to the anchor line with a rolling hitch, and tensioned that so that the net pull on the boat was "centered". The boat settled down remarkably. Not sure why, but it might be worth a try.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner

View attachment 43745
When conditions get snotty, holding power is a function of scope, not the weight of the chain. In the milder conditions shown in that photo, the weight of the chain will indeed limit swinging radius and be just fine. When conditions pick up, scope is required, whether the rode is rope or chain.

In any case, storing a bunch of heavy chain on an E27 is impractical, not to mention that it would adversely affect the boat's sailing characteristics. A boat length or so is probably about right.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On looking at the photo of the steadying sail I noticed that it is set quite high on the backstay. Rather than reinventing the wheel does anyone have suggestions on how to reach that height? ladder? Swinging over on a boson's chair? What is the best method for securing that sail to the stay and I'm going to guess it's temporary and must be removed when leaving the anchorage and setting sail. I read through the thread and did not see where this was described or at least in terms comprehensible to me.
I clip the triangular little sail onto the backstay and "hoist" it by leading a spinnaker halyard around the spar. Little pressure on the halyard. You could use the main halyard if you have a way to support the boom when the sail is furled. Then the long dimension of the steadying sail is "sheeted" forward along the side of the boom. Works wonderfully. It's like the fletching on an arrow to align the boat with the wind.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The high shear of the bow and a furled headsail will catch the wind when anchored from the bow.

You could try setting your anchor just as you have been, but tying it off to the stern instead. Tied to stern, that high-sheared bow acts much like the "steadying sail" you are referring to.

Stuphoto

Member III
I have a fair amount of chain, 60' but it seems more chain for the bow, and stern,will help and the addition of a stabilizing sail will keep me from looking out of my salon and seeing a different view from the stern every few minutes. Cheers!
Where I live there are 20+ foot tides.
If you don't have a fair amount of scope you will start lifting the chain at high tide and your anchor will start dragging in heavy winds.

And we also usually only anchor or moore from the bow.
Our view is constantly changing but it's no big deal for anyone I know.

The only issue we occasionally have is on calm days during a very low tide, when some boats start drifting very close together.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bepi, re Little Fisherman's cove on Catalina: it's probably a bow and stern anchor deal when it is well populated and swinging on one anchor doesn't work. There is beach traffic and small power boats, so a float on the stern anchor line is a good idea.

You can tighten up the anchor lines as needed, if the anchors hold. I have found a good set difficult there (with the little Danforth on my outboard skiff). It's traditional to consult with other boats if crowding occurs, so everybody's on the same page. When quarters are close, either everybody swings, or nobody.