• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anchoring Sites

NGB

Member II
I have been given a couple of suggestions but am looking for more. I need a relatively quiet spot in the San Diego Bay area to practice anchoring without getting in the way of traffic. (The channel on the backside of Harbor Island is ideal except it can get very busy.) Since I will be practicing singlehanded, I need a spot that gives me space and time to make my mistakes without endangering anyone, including me. Any recommendations?

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
me too

I have practiced anchoring a couple of times in the area between the channel to Coronado Cays and Chula Vista Marina. You need to stay well north of the shoal area. Its also a good spot to practice MOB. I had to buy a new anchor and wanted to try it out when we decided to go to that area after talking with someone else who says he goes there and drops anchor for a few hours at a time just to get away and relax. You need to be on the south western side of the mooring area. The other side is in the main chanel of the bay and as a result there is a good deal of traffic.

NGB

Member II
Thanks. I will check it out. It will also give me a chance to scout south of the bridge, which I have not done yet. I have heard about the infamous approach to Chula Vista but have only eyed it on the south bay chart.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Oh yeah.

yes the channel is lots of fun. I ventured out in Doldrums (my 1967 E26) after dark for the first time for the Christmas parade last year. The parade starts at south end of Shelter Island. The decorated boats all line up there and follow a route through the bay and end in front of Ferry's Landing. It was a load of fun, and I'm hooked for that event every year.
but to my point of the channel after dark. You must have a very bright spot light because the channel marker' lights are very dim and on a moonless night are almost imposible to see. but when you shine a spot light on them they reflect very well. It also helps to know that the channel has what I call a dog leg in the middle of it. It actually makes two 90 degree turns in the middle. The shoal areas outside the channel are less than a foot deep in some areas. Listen to channel 16 durring the busy weekends and you will almost always here a distress call from some boat that ventured outside the channel during low tide. When we have super high tides like the ones we had earlier this month the channel markers are not that important. But I always stay within the markers just so other boaters know what I'm doing.

piezzi

Another place you can try is along the golf course in Glorietta Bay. As you go South past the bridge and turn West to go down the channel into the bay, there is usually plenty of space between the bridge and the regular Glorietta Bay anchorage .

Paul
Fruedian Sloop
E29 #45:cool:

NGB

Member II
Thanks, Paul. As I recall, there is a Navy facility on the SE side of the channel, so I assume the golf course is on the NW or Coronado side. It has been a few years since I have been south of the bridge in a boat, but we used to rent a 22' out of Glorietta and spend the day lolling around in the bay. Great fun with young kids.