• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Angel Island Slips - has anyone used ?

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Tomorrow calmer winds are forecasted for the Bay Area and I am thinking of sailing (motoring ?) to Angel Island tomorrow AM from Sausalito, hIke around the island, have lunch and sail the long way home. I don’t yet have a dingy but I understand they have slips for 15/day. Has anyone gone there ? I don’t have a reservation and I am assuming since it is a weekday and I get there around 9 or 10, there should be a slip available…

Teranodon

Member III
Here's the info, pretty much as you said:

I used to go there all the time with my Olson 25, sometimes staying on a mooring overnight. In the morning, you can grab a slip before the tourists arrive on the ferry. Great view from the top of the island. But all that was 30 years ago.... Judging from the web site, and the Google Maps photo, not much has changed. For once, that's a good thing.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
The park opens at 9:00am. The slip is for day use I think $13. Try to stay dock as you can from the ferry. There are some signs that post the size of the boat the slip will accommodate. Don't believe them. They are really optimistic and too short! There are some slips on in the inside, closer to shore that are better sheltered from the ferry but on a week day you should not have a problem getting an outer. These inside slips look shallow but are deep enough for most boats.

Milagros

Member II
Tomorrow calmer winds are forecasted for the Bay Area and I am thinking of sailing (motoring ?) to Angel Island tomorrow AM from Sausalito, hIke around the island, have lunch and sail the long way home. I don’t yet have a dingy but I understand they have slips for 15/day. Has anyone gone there ? I don’t have a reservation and I am assuming since it is a weekday and I get there around 9 or 10, there should be a slip available…
I was just there yesterday! Yep slips available for $15. The one thing I'd look out for that isn't obvious is that a pretty significant counter-clockwise eddy sets up in the cove on an ebbing tide. Nothing that can't be dealt with, but it can be an entertaining spot to watch people come and go. Should be no problem getting a slip. Enjoy!

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I was just there yesterday! Yep slips available for $15. The one thing I'd look out for that isn't obvious is that a pretty significant counter-clockwise eddy sets up in the cove on an ebbing tide. Nothing that can't be dealt with, but it can be an entertaining spot to watch people come and go. Should be no problem getting a slip. Enjoy!
I didn’t end up going there today because I remembered I had an appointment with the sailmaker today (he is busy 3 weeks out), so I wanted to show up for that. thanks for the advice on the currents, I‘ll watch for those…

frosero7744

Member II
Went to Angel Island 4.24, and got a slip. We arrived before 10am and there were plenty of slip options. I second the suggestion to transit near the ferry dock as the ranger confirmed some shoaling in the center of the bay. The mooring balls had some particular depths to keep an eye out for if you draft over 6ft also. It gets sporty in the afternoon with wind, low tide potential, eddy current, ferrys, and boat traffic in general. Getting your sails up can be tough also if you're shorthanded once you leave the cover of the cove. I usually will duck in China cove to raise the sails on my way back to Alameda after a day at AI. Also waiting till late in the evening when the wind dies down and riding home in the setting sun is awesome.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
but it can be an entertaining spot to watch people come and go. Should be no problem getting a slip. Enjoy!
This is what I was going to say -- and that's from back in the late 1980s no less! Apparently it's never changed! It can be entertaining...until the boat in the crosshairs of the errant Bayliner is yours....then it's a little more, uh.... 'tense'.... =)

//sse

Milagros

Member II
This is what I was going to say -- and that's from back in the late 1980s no less! Apparently it's never changed! It can be entertaining...until the boat in the crosshairs of the errant Bayliner is yours....then it's a little more, uh.... 'tense'.... =)

//sse
The boats that make me sweat when I see them coming are the newer 35-45' Beneteaus and Jeanneaus. I see them ramming docks, healed over at absurd angles flying all their canvas in 25 kts of wind, crossing directly in front of ships, and generally creating chaos pretty regularly. I have a theory that, especially in SF Bay, many of them are owned by folks that made some money in tech and want to get into sailing. They don't blink at the 200+K price tag for the boat but don't follow through on a few thousand for lessons to learn how to actually use the thing.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
The boats that make me sweat when I see them coming are the newer 35-45' Beneteaus and Jeanneaus. I see them ramming docks, healed over at absurd angles flying all their canvas in 25 kts of wind, crossing directly in front of ships....
Oh those people.... "...What? Where are the brakes on my new boat?..."

There was a guy across the dock from me with a new 40'ish power boat (back in the 90s) - I went over there and talked to him - asked him if he knew where his thru hulls were, etc....

"Huh? What's that?"

When I told him what they were, he just waved me off and said "....uh, well, if the boat starts sinking, I'll just floor it and head for the beach...".

I never went over there again. :egrin:

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
A number of the newer Beneteaus out of Sausalito are owned by a sailing school and are rented for low value to inexperienced sailors.

The damage wrought on the finger piers in my marina by the "learn to dock" class would be comical if it weren't so near to my own slip.

So, yes I would steer clear of a gray Oceanis 30.1.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
A number of the newer Beneteaus out of Sausalito are owned by a sailing school and are rented for low value to inexperienced sailors.

The damage wrought on the finger piers in my marina by the "learn to dock" class would be comical if it weren't so near to my own slip.

I’ve been there :) prior to buying my Ericson, I rented an Oceanis 38.1 as part of a fractional club membership ( in SoCal ) . My first “bigger boat”.. I’ll have to tell you the story when I was leaving the dock , I mistook turning on the bow thruster for the autopilot - it wasn’t pretty , but no damages, although the other skippers around getting very nervous about their boats … :)

Milagros

Member II

I recognize a few of those boats; good to know to give them a wide birth. I would hardly consider a 35 footer a "pocket cruiser" but that's neither here nor there.

Tom, any chance you live in the Richmond District? Thought I saw your name Nextdoor a few weeks ago.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I recognize a few of those boats; good to know to give them a wide birth. I would hardly consider a 35 footer a "pocket cruiser" but that's neither here nor there.

Tom, any chance you live in the Richmond District? Thought I saw your name Nextdoor a few weeks ago.
Yes, I am in the Richmond. Where are you?

I’m trying to cut back on Nextdoor lest my beefs with San Francisco city government too firmly establish my reputation as a cranky privileged middle age guy.

Milagros

Member II
Cool, I'm at 14th/Lake. I hear you about Nextdoor. It seems to be the same people having the same 3-4 arguments over and over again but it's hard to look away!

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Yes, I am in the Richmond. Where are you?

I’m trying to cut back on Nextdoor lest my beefs with San Francisco city government too firmly establish my reputation as a cranky privileged middle age guy.
Interesting…My daughter has been looking in Richmond district. She got a job with a biotech company in the city and is moving up to NorCal (from SoCal) this summer. I‘m lettting her stay on my Ericson in Sausalito if she needs to but do far has not accepted the offer :)

Mitchy

Marta, 1983 Ericson 35-3, Universal M25
My slip neighbor spent the night there in there in there Catalina 35 2 weeks ago and mentioned that they have not dredged in a few years and had issues at low tide. They draw 5’ and my E35-3 draws 6’2”. Be mindful and enjoy!

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
My slip neighbor spent the night there in there in there Catalina 35 2 weeks ago and mentioned that they have not dredged in a few years and had issues at low tide. They draw 5’ and my E35-3 draws 6’2”. Be mindful and enjoy!
You're the second person that mentioned this. Thanks.. I'll make sure I look at the tide charts when planning to go there.