• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

any advice on how to remove letter shadow

mggilmore

Member II
I just removed the the old name from my boat. The old stickered name can still be seen on the transom due to a difference in the fiberglass shading at this point. I've tried cleaning it off to no avail. I'm thinking of using rubbing compound next but a friend has recommended fine steel wool. Any other advice ???? For more info, the name is on the transom and the transom has a different finish than the rest of the hull (maybe Imron???). Thanks.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Do not use steel wool. Wet sanding in progressively finer grits and then compounding is the best method. Try compounding first. I would not recommend you do this yourself unless you have the proper buffer and some experience buffing gelcoat.

Imron can be buffed but again you need to know what you are doing. Awl grip cannot be buffed. Repainting the transom may be the only way to fix this.

Last edited:

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Sounds Familiar!

Not much advice to offer, but had to chime in since I just had the same issue. The old "blue" name was painted directly on the yellow gelcoat. I got pretty aggressive with wet sanding to no avail. In fact to the point that white spots were appearing in the yellow gelcoat. Although the blue paint was gone, I just could not get rid of the "shadow".

Finally decided to get color cards from the Pettit, Interlux, and awlgrip. Went with Pettit Easypoxy, since it had the best match and was a one part paint that I could apply myself. Put 3 coats with roll and tip method and came out pretty good. Only painted the transom.

Took the boat out last Sunday to appease Neptune and Aeolus? with libations and plan on adding the new name on Friday.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I have shadows from at least two incarnations of the previous name of my boat on my transom. I think the vinyl film protected the gelcoat from normal erosion. I just left it alone after getting all the adhesive off. If there is any color that has gotten into the gel, then, I would go with the re-painting suggestions. I lucked out on that and now I barely notice the pair of overlapping "Hawkeye" shadows. As a Boilermaker, I really couldn't keep the PO's name.

P.S. He's a good guy and took pretty good care of the boat. :egrin:

mggilmore

Member II
Thanks for the replies. I was a bit worried about the steel wool suggestion too, so now that is off the list. I'll go the compounding route and see how that goes, hopefully I don't have to get into painting.

Now I just need to find a virgin for the name changing ritual :egrin:

thomthod

Member II
I had the same that two incarnations of names and places were on there so I wiped out painting the whole transom. Much better.

T

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
New Name!

When we acquired our boat in '94 it had a large painted name on each flank and the hailing port on the stern using mylar letters.
Acetone took the paint off, with patience, and a lot of rags. The gel coat was new, underneath, and took a few years to fade to match the rest.

Transom was worse... lots more UV damage to the gel coat back there. AFAIK the surface of the gel coat actually erodes slightly over the years and under the letters was, of course, original "height."

For years the original hailing port could be read, barely, under certain flat lighting conditions. After some buffing and waxing it's 98% gone nowadays. :nerd:

So, cautious removal and then patience may be a reasonable tactic.
:confused:
(And, do not use steel wool on the exterior of your boat.)

As to renaming, here is a good ceremony:
http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

You might ask Glyn J for expert re-naming advice, too!
:egrin:

Loren

Slick470

Member III
Another timely thread. Last time I was out to our boat, I caught the transom in the right light and caught the previous name, and parts of another beneath it. Was going to try a fine rubbing compound to take the "edge" off of the previous names and then wax the whole transom.

When we finally get around to it, I'm not planning on putting the new name on the transom, so I'm curious if anyone has better luck or a better method.

Leon Sheean

Member II
Paint Shadows

As noted above, the age of the lettering has an impact on your ability to get it all off. I pulled previous lettering off my hull after it was on for only three seasons with one of the generic oven cleaners. It worked reasonably well with several applications but if left on too long, the gel coat can be damaged. If you try this method, wear two layers of plastic gloves!

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My boat has the name painted on the "flanks" like Loren's. Has anyone used any of the "fiberglass safe" paint removers like Interlux Interstrip or Smart Strip?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
We used Interstrip 299E to take off the shear stripes and the boot stripes a couple years ago. The paint was old; it was Petit's answer to Brightsides, I think. Had a real hard time getting some sections off, not sure why. In the end we had to do lots of sanding on the stubborn areas.

On the areas that it worked well, I can't complain much. It stuck well to where it was applied, not much running at all. It was messy coming off, so plan for the gloppy mixture with softened paint in it to get on everything. Protect the areas you don't want the glop to stain.

If you have areas where the paint won't budge, you'll probably have to paint over it after sanding. The maroon paint left a stain in the gelcoat.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
New Name

As mentioned in an earlier post, I added the new name to our sailboat today using vinyl lettering I ordered on-line at:

http://doityourselflettering.com/

The customer support was fantastic. I ended up creating my own design in MS Publisher, but you can send them your own ideas in just about any digital format or just use their on-line tool.

Laying it out myself, I was able to get the boat name shown on the transom and on the life bouy, as well as the home port and ericson logos in one plot. Cost was $45 including shipping. Happy with the way it came out.

By the way the name is pronounced like the word "Serenity". All I am going to say is that my twin daughters' names are Sara and Jenna. Now for those of you who are "super" superstitious, you might caution me for naming my boat after my children, but the boat's name is NOT SaraJenna, so I am safe!!!

Attachments

• CIMG0836.jpg
    CIMG0836.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 95
  • CIMG0837.jpg
    CIMG0837.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 83
  • CIMG0818.jpg
    CIMG0818.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited: