• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Any E 37' Owners out there ?

wingonwing

I know the 39' well but not so much about the 37'.. Seems to be a ghost in the E line only 100 or so made. Can anyone give me some insight as to her sailing qualities.. noticed the original sail plans were significantly smaller than the 39' and the 38'..

Much thanks..

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Okay, I have no info on the E37, it is a bit of a rare bird. I do however have to ask, where in Barbados are you, and are you a "local"?
RT

wingonwing

E 37' Ect..

That's ok bout E 37'... I did find a bit of literature about the boat and theres a nice book a fella has witten about making the passage around the "Horn" in an E 37' (after much out-fitting) All that being said...I'm going to purchase an Alberg 37'. I had my heart set on an Ericson but we stumbled onto this Alberg and it's everything I ever wanted in a boat and more. Were off to Marathon FL next week to prepare for the passage windward. Cant wait.

I live on the South Coast of Barbados near Long Beach if you know Christ Church. We ran a little Irish Pub on St.L Gap called "The Lighthouse" for a few years just sold it .. Hence the boat.

I'm not a native Bajan but have lived here long enough to call it home..

In saying that, where I call 'home' could all change with the Alberg :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Alberg owners seem to have a nice web presence.
http://www.alberg37.org/
Is your particular boat a sloop rig?
Pretty boats!
:cool:
Happy sailing to you...

Cheers,
LB

Attachments

• Anemos-2b.jpg
    Anemos-2b.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 112

wingonwing

Cheers..

She's cutter rigged but the owner never ran the inner head sail. So I'm going to have to add a little more tackle to fly the two. Were in two minds though about it. I like the Idea of keeping a little bit of the foredeck free of hardware. Adding a self tending mini boom extra tracks and lines could really clutter the little bit of space we have on deck. I spose we'll make our mind up after sailing her a bit more. It's a toss up with a cutter rig we could probably get away with never having to fly a spinaker and that suits me fine. Single handing chutes is'nt one of my strong points..

Thanks for the link to the Alberg Forum, they are an enthusiastic bunch indeed...

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Glad to hear you found a boat that will do it for you, even if its not an Ericson!

I was born Bajan, lived in Sandy Lane Estates, St. James. Grew up in Holetown, playing on Sandy Lane beach, Grapetree and Paynes bay. Used to surf down at Accra and around to Bathsheba, etc. Went to the Ursuline Convent primary school and then Presentation College. Dad was a dentist in Black Rock. My family once owned "The Coach House" but it was called Marine Villa then. I'm related to the Staffners, cousins, there aren't many Thomas' left that are in my family. One of my cousins married a Bourne so we're tied to them too. I learned to sail on that beach just North of the deep water harbour, just before the powerplant. Back then there was a fleet of Mirror Dinghys and sailing camp lasted all summer. Buying snowcones from the Rasta's and sailing all day is a good way to grow up. I find the island a bit to overdeveloped now, has a crowded feel to me. I still get back every few years to visit family, etc. and its still a great place to live. Have a Roti for me, I'd kill for one about now.

Enjoy your new boat! RT

wingonwing

It's a small world

We took our In-laws to the Coach House on Mothers Day. I know Old Town well. Good mates with the "Hoads" Peter ("Wipers") an avid sailor he teaches sailing and owns a set of J 24's that keep the regattas going strong and Chris Hoad (Sporty) who owns "The Muse" on 2nd St. I dont know if your related to the same Bourns but I play music with Martin and his brother both living on the South Coast. Their mother owns some property on St.L Gap where the Gap bar is now. I'm trying to think of any Thomas we know off hand, I'm sure there has to be one or two I've run into. I could Imagine Barbados 20 years ago from what I hear it's as you describe it. Things are becoming a bit over developed for true, in the last few years I've watched litterally all the views onto the ocean dissapear on the South Coast. I surf Freights Bay, Southpoint, and Silver Sands when ever I can. You would'nt believe it though, just last month they built some sort of complex that blocks the view of Freights and Miami Beach from the main Road.. I dont get it !! Mawell too.. Cant see the beach at all at all. Still Bathesheba and Bath are havens, former government pass law prohibiting over development hope it stick. As the South Coast is flat right now we take a drive over an look for waves on Parlour an there allways is a little something , thats where I pick my breadfruit as well. Allways waiting for the North Swell though.. You grew up on the best surfing coast in Barbados... Tropicana,Pavillion,Jordans, I could go on and on.. Well I'll take your advice an have a nice Roti wi plenty hot sauce... I'm in Town today to drop off my Barrel to ship to Miami. Man I worrie bout this years Hurricane season running late. My woman she worrie too. Could take a while before I can sail back to Bim...

Last edited: