• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Any Interior Fabric Ideas?

Steve

Member III
This time of year is great to have stuff like cushions redone etc.. We would like to renew several of our worn interior cushions, but running into a brick wall regarding "matching" the original OEM fabric navy blue with white dot pattern that Ericson used.

If we are unable to match, we may have to redo all the pieces instead of several, this obviously runs into a bit of green, especially considering 80% is perfect. Attached is the fabric... any thoughts on who may have or success at this project in the past?

Steve
e35-3 #159 (1984)

Attachments

• cushion color.jpg
    cushion color.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 85

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Five years ago the man reupholstering my aft cabin mattress told me the pattern was no longer available. It wasn't a problem for me as it is well away from any other cushions.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have that same "standard Ericson" dark blue material with the white flecks. When we had one cushion cover replaced in '95, the upholsterer told me then that the small amount of yardage he obtained was the last of that pattern that was still available.
Over a decade later, it would seem unlikely that any more of it would be for sale anywhere.
I like the looks of it and will rue the day we have to start over with new cover material. It was high quality stuff, though, and our covers are holding up great.

Loren

noproblemo2

Member III
I would take a cushion to a good upholstry/fabric shop and look for something to complement the existing fabric, or find a bolt with enough fabric to redo what you need done now and keep the remaining to replace a little at a time as you can afford to do so. :cheers:

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
The original blue velvet fabric in the Ericsons was manufactured by Collins and Aikman and they are no longer in business. Dan Callen Ericson32-3 Andiamo

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Steve,

We looked around for matching fabric, but couldn't find any. We did find some fabric that we really liked that was being discontinued and was priced at a lot less than comperable fabric.

We then searched for the best price on getting our cushions recovered with the new fabric. We found a significant price difference between shops. We also checked references.

We ended up getting new foam as well.

It wasn't cheap, but it was a lot less expensive than we originally thought it would be when we started. Our old cushions lasted twenty years and we figure the new cushions will last just as long if not longer.

We really like the way the new cushions brightened up the boat.

We're on Lake Superior, but if there is any way we can be of help let us know. I've gotten to know the person that made our new cushions pretty well. He does really good work and his prices are fair.

Enjoy,
Bob

Steve

Member III
Thanks...

Thanks to all for the ideas and info, you have helped me turn a major search pain toward a different idea, it's clear finding a match is going to be almost impossible. Fortunately the cushions in question are both bottoms for the table area, so we may redo all three bottoms in a solid dark navy velvet, - making this a kiss project after all... salvage any good fabric for future fixes for others.

We did redo the foam several years ago to a real stiff product, the 1984 OEM foam was rather flat and uncomfortable.

Interesting that the OEM fabric, simple but elegant, would be so hard to duplicate, it seems so timeless in design.. I will be forever looking for a match, if found will not hesitate to redo again ...

Steve

Brisdon

Inactive Member
Make sure the fabric you pick has ZERO cotton content. Even 10% cotton will mildew in a boat and cause the whole thing to smell foul, not to mention staining. What you want is a transportation grade fabric, not home upholstery fabric. Also, buy enough to redo the seat tops down the road, without touching the backs. I wish I had done that. My backs look new but the seats are getting worn after ten years and I can't get the fabric anymore either. I think my E-35 took about 25 yards total. I think I bought about ten yards of Fiffertex for the bottoms. I wish I'd bought an extra ten yards of upholstery fabric when I did the job.