• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Any Olson 34 for sale on the west coast

bwinfield

I am interested to know if there are any Ericson 34's for sale in the Pacific NW or perhaps west coast in general? I would like to race, +/- cruise. I currently race out of Vancouver in an Olson 911SE Nunnehi.

Bruce

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You missed a nice Olson 34, last month, that sold down in San Diego and is now headed for SF.

What with only 39 or so being built, they do not come onto the market too often.

Best,
Loren
(Olson 34 owner 1994 to present)

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Bruce's missed opportunity that Loren mentioned has made it to San Francisco or more accurately Sausalito. My wife and I were dog/boat sitting this past weekend for a friend that lives on her boat in Sausalito and an Olson 34 (Buzz Light year) showed up in the slip next door. I figured it had been out for a few days as there were diesel cans lashed to stanchions, jack-lines and a bunch of damp gear drying on deck.

bwinfield

Loren re your Olsen 34

You missed a nice Olson 34, last month, that sold down in San Diego and is now headed for SF.

What with only 39 or so being built, they do not come onto the market too often.

Best,
Loren
(Olson 34 owner 1994 to present)

Hi Loren,

Thanks for your latest post.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been very busy putting
together a deal in the new company that I am working with. It is not a
lack of interest but rather a lack of time.

I had a few questions on the Olson 34 as I have only seen one quickly from
afar:

- Are all the models equipped with a wheel or was that an option or?
- Does the main have a bolt rope or is it held in the track with slugs.
- Have you done much racing with yours and do you know how the handicap and if it races well to the handicap.

I googled the boats and found one for sail for your asking price on The Boat Shop. Was that yours? Where are you located on the NW coast that you fresh water sail the boat. I have tried VC17 in Vanc and it is very much a disaster unless you dry sail your boat which some do
here but it would not be a possibility for me.
I currently have an Olson911SE and am looking to move up to a larger more cruisable boat also for my other half. Funny the way that works.

Bruce

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Olson notes

Hi Loren,

Thanks for your latest post.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been very busy putting
together a deal in the new company that I am working with. It is not a
lack of interest but rather a lack of time.

I had a few questions on the Olson 34 as I have only seen one quickly from
afar:

- Are all the models equipped with a wheel or was that an option or?
- Does the main have a bolt rope or is it held in the track with slugs.
- Have you done much racing with yours and do you know how the handicap and if it races well to the handicap.

I googled the boats and found one for sail for your asking price on The Boat Shop. Was that yours? Where are you located on the NW coast that you fresh water sail the boat. I have tried VC17 in Vanc and it is very much a disaster unless you dry sail your boat which some do
here but it would not be a possibility for me.
I currently have an Olson911SE and am looking to move up to a larger more cruisable boat also for my other half. Funny the way that works.

Bruce

Sorry for not replying sooner, but also have been rather busy.
(I once ran across a saying, something about "life is what happens to you while you are making plans." True, so true.)

Wheel was an option, and my guess is that about half of them were ordered that way. Ours has the wheel, but we would have been equally happy with the tiller. Plusses and minuses either way...

Main has slugs on ours, and since most owners ordered up sails separately there's probably no standard, per se.
I only race ours in a 21 mile cruising "race" once a season. We used to race smaller keel boats a lot, years ago.
I hear that our boat can hold its own even in the fast Level Fleet in the SF Bay with a nominal 99 rating for all the boats.

We sail in fresh water and I used VC17 on our last boat, a Niagara 26. Won a lot races, too.
Fast paint, but I did have to towel off the slime several times a season.
Rumor is that VC is not as good in salt water, though. Nowadays I used Trinidad SR, and get about three years out of a repaint.

Funny you should mention owning a 911SE. I have a friend at the club interested in finding one, maybe. In a fantasy world, you would buy mine, he would buy yours, and my wife would make me buy that E-38 she's been eyeing....
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

Cat Paws

Olson 34 on the market

I am interested to know if there are any Ericson 34's for sale in the Pacific NW or perhaps west coast in general? I would like to race, +/- cruise. I currently race out of Vancouver in an Olson 911SE Nunnehi.

Bruce

Bruce. Are you still interested? I am selling one for a friend down here in San Francisco. Bob

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bruce. Are you still interested? I am selling one for a friend down here in San Francisco. Bob

Bruce has not been active here since 9-20-11. Best to just click on his profile and choose the direct email reply to reach him.

Loren

Last edited: