• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone ever use this Whale bilge pump?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
centrifugal pump, but with a lower profile than the vertical-oriented motor on the Rule pumps.
Let us know if you install it; I have not seen one in use before.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I'm doubtful that would lay flat in the bilge due to the location of the keel bolts.

67rway

Member II
I ran one in my last boat for a few years, and had no issues with it (unlike the neg reviews I've seen while contemplating one again).

Slick470

Member III
I bought one a few years ago for our Olson 911. I've heard they work pretty well in our super shallow bilge. Still need to install it though.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Use one for the shower bilge. It got stuck on last year intermittently. Replaced with the same and no further problems. Did buy 2 to have a spare. There are no reliable long term pumps that I’m aware of.

it lays pretty flat and doesn’t take up too much room either. Makes an average amount of noise so you know when it’s running, but not too loud to be a nuisance

SAILING THE JJ

Tracy Ward
I have an Ericson 1978 30-2 my bilge is hard to fit any pump in because of the keel bolts. Does anyone have my boat and what the heck do you use?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I helped deliver a 36RH that had one of these. The owner hated it. Don't know why.

I have two Jabscos remote in the engine compartment with pickups in the bilge. The Jabscos are FAR superior to the centrifugal pumps. They are also far more expensive. Also, test your manual pump a couple of times a year.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I helped deliver a 36RH that had one of these. The owner hated it. Don't know why.

I have two Jabscos remote in the engine compartment with pickups in the bilge. The Jabscos are FAR superior to the centrifugal pumps. They are also far more expensive. Also, test your manual pump a couple of times a year.

I agree about the centrifugal pumps. Because of the long runs from the main and mast/shower bilges on my E32-3 the water that's still in the hose run to the stern just runs back into the bilge when the pump turns off. I installed a diaphragm pump to evacuate the water in the mast/shower bilge since that fills the most because of mast rain water. Over a two year period it's worked great. Planning to install another for the main bilge and maybe another high-volume centrifugal bilge in case of a major water intrusion. I installed the diaphragm pump in the aft part of the boat, near the outlet, where there is plenty of room. There is plenty of information about this kind of install and it's covered very well on one or two posts by Christian Williams.