• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone have experience with this manual winlass?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No personal experience, but that looks exactly like the one a friend put on his CT-38. He was cruising the west site of Vancouver Island island several summers with his. He liked the simplicity of it. I recall that he had a 12" handle for it.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Loren: Do you recall where on the bow he had mounted it? I was thinking perhaps just rear of the anchor locker so that one could crank rode directly in and out? No room in front or sides of my locker. I don't know if this location could support the stress? Ad states it uses the winch handle.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IIRC that model has an anchor locker set back a little way from the bow, and there was room in front of that compartment for a windlass.
You should find some past threads here discussing windlass locations on the Ericson 35-3 (and 34-2) and of course the E-38.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
With the E-33, I had thought a lot about the lack of windlass and chain roller. If I end up doing a lot of cruising, I may look at one of these manual windlass'. It looks like the perfect solution if they work well.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Are you looking for a vertical windlass? I have a used one for sale and can give you details if you’re interested.
Bolo, if you still have that windlass, and if it is manual/non-electric, I am interested to know details.