• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone heading to Catalina over the holidays ?

Sven

Seglare
I sure hope the weather cooperates. We are planning to head up to Catalina or maybe Santa Barbara Island for at least some of the days and are curious if any EY.o enthusiasts will be out there ?

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
It's been a little nasty out there.

It's been a little nasty out there Sven.

I checked the web cam at Two Harbors and there were only a couple of boats there. More at Avalon. There were Gale warnings Friday & Saturday. Gale warnings today as well.

I have been to Catalina in February before but we were having a nice Indian Summer that President's Day weekend back in 06. One day was in the 80's. It was a nasty sail back though.

Are you working your way to Ventura?

You probably heard about this. I whish they had more info on what happened to these guys.

Men Rescued From Sail Boat Run Aground

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Men-Rescued-From-Sail-Boat-Run-Aground.html

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

It's been a little nasty out there Sven.

But I think it will clear up the rest of this week and into next ? I hope. We definitely do not want any heavy weather sailing until we've gotten the standing rigging replaced.

You probably heard about this. I whish they had more info on what happened to these guys.

Men Rescued From Sail Boat Run Aground

Didn't know about that. It looks like a Hardin 45 (or is it 44') ?

Just a few weeks after Captain Larry lost his boat on the sand south of MDR. What is it with all these boats running ashore. It is getting to be like mysterious whale beachings ! Very sad.

-Sven

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
We usually spend New Years at Two Harbors, and it's nice.

Last year, we missed New Years, but went out on January 4th instead. It rained one night, but we caught our limit of bugs from the mooring buoy two nights in a row, and had a nice warm, sunny, and fast sail home.

I tend to sail more in the winter than in the summer, and I've never had a bad time. The harbor and island are quieter, the sailing is more fun, and the ice keeps the beer cooler longer in the icebox.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mark

I tend to sail more in the winter than in the summer, and I've never had a bad time. The harbor and island are quieter, the sailing is more fun, and the ice keeps the beer cooler longer in the icebox.

We've had some of our best times in Two Harbors in the winter (and also some of the wildest, during "wind events").

Did you dive for the lobster off the moored boat or did you really drop a lobster pot while at the mooring !? What does the license cost ? Sounds like fun !

-Sven

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
We usually drop a couple hoop nets; one from the bow and one from the stern. My boat is near Ports o' Call in San Pedro, so I usually pick up a couple salmon heads from the fish market for bait before we leave. Otherwise, the kids fish for mackerel in Two Harbors and use that instead.

When we pull into Two Harbors, I always ask the Harbor Patrol guy where the bugs are that week, and ask him to assign us a mooring can on top of them. No problemo.

Once we're moored, I fire up the grill, make drinks, turn up the tunes a little (not so we bother others), and drop the hoop nets. We pull the pots every 20 minutes or so after dark, until we're drunk and lazy or busy watching movies or playing cards below. Then I haul them every time I make a pee run on deck. The pee runs are the most lucrative--particularly the midnight one.

We don't usually get our limit, but we have. Typically I'll have 3-5 to cook up in the morning, and I often make omelets, quesadillas or burritos out of them. I mean, what else can you do with mango salsa, cilantro, swiss cheese and tortillas? Next, I'll bring a wok and stir fry them with some Thai seasonings.

We should open a cooking thread for "What To Do With Lobster When You're Burned Out on Drawn Butter and Baby Red Potatos?"

(This is top secret, you know--that's why I'm posting it here on this top secret internet thingy).

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Hi Mark

What does the license cost ? Sounds like fun !

-Sven

Sorry, I forgot to answer that part.

I just looked up the 2009 rules, and the new fees are:

$41.20 for the Sport Fishing License, and
$4.75 for the Ocean Stamp.

AND: I also found something I've never heard of before:

$8.40 for the Spiny Lobster Report Card. Either that's new, or I've been catching bugs illegally since I started diving for them in the '80's. I better look into that ASAP!

Also, kids are great to have on board. The limit is 7 lobster per license per day. Kids under 16 don't need licenses, but their presence on the boat increases your limit!

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Change in Lobster Laws!

Ok, this is new for this season. Since I haven't been out yet, I haven't blown it. As far as I can tell, the only change is the new reporting requirement, and the fee for the report card.
--------------------------------------------
Spiny Lobster Reporting Requirements

The purpose of the new reporting requirement is to monitor recreational catch and effort and the gear used in the recreational lobster fishery. Regulations require that prior to beginning fishing activity, the cardholder must record the month, day, location and gear code on the first available line on the report card. When the cardholder moves to another location or finishes fishing for the day, he or she must immediately record on the card the number of lobsters kept from that location.

Spiny Lobster Reminders….

• The 2008 spiny lobster season opens Saturday, September 27, 2008 and extends through Wednesday, March 18, 2009. Beginning September 27, 2008, every person attempting to take spiny lobster must have a Spiny Lobster Report Card. This includes persons who are not required to have a Sport Fishing License and Ocean Enhancement Stamp, such as: children under the age of 16, persons fishing from a public pier, and persons fishing on free fishing days.

• A California Sport Fishing License with Ocean Enhancement Stamp is required to take lobster south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County). Persons fishing under the authority of a One or Two-Day Sport Fishing License are exempt from the Ocean Enhancement Stamp requirement.

• Spiny Lobster Report Cards must be carried by hoop netters, and divers must keep it with their fishing license. If a lobster fisherman fills up a card before the year ends, the card can be returned and a new one purchased. The Spiny Lobster Report Card must be returned to the Department of Fish and Game no later than January 31 of the following year.

• No equipment other than hoop nets may be used to take lobster. Divers may only use their bare or gloved hands to take lobster. Both lobster divers and hoop netters must possess a lobster gauge when taking lobsters.

• The lobster daily bag and possession limit is seven lobsters. A maximum of five hoop nets may be fished by an individual. No more than 10 hoop nets may be fished on a vessel, regardless of how many licensed anglers are aboard. On piers, jetties, and other shore-based structures, each angler is limited to two hoop nets.

• For complete spiny lobster regulations, refer to the 2008-2009 Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations Booklet or visit www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/index.html.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I think you can also just get Licenses by the day right? Once you have purchased three days worth you are getting up to what a License would cost for the whole season.

I like the idea of going over there for New Years. I would have to leave on New Years Eve though. Just don't have any vacation left.

So what's it gonna be. Avalon with a bunch of drunken tourists fresh off the ferry or Bugs and mango salsa at Two Harbors?:egrin:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
We're not likely to be out there until after the first. We tried to get out last month, but the exhaust elbow had corroded under the paint and nearly fell off the engine! Tomorrow I'll pay $408.00 for a replacement, and install it. Then, I need to run her down to the boatyard for new bottom paint, some stuffing box work, and confirmation that the rudder is hunky dory. This needs to be done before the end of the year to take advantage of good yard rates.

THEN, it's time to sail again. And re-varnish the peeling exterior teak. And polish the hull. And rebuild a winch. And a fairlead. And have new interior cushions made....

I feel all my money flowing into a hole in San Pedro's Main Channel....

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
It's always something.

I know the feeling Mark, been there and I have done every thing on your above mentioned list.

The exhaust elbow on my little Yanmar was $450.00.

I have some corrosion on my boom and spreaders that I have been procrastinating about dealing with. Not too bad but I need to deal with it. I had the boom, mast and spreaders re finished and painted when I had the standing rigging replaced back in 04. I can't believe I already have corrosion. The rigger I used back then hasn't returned my calls. I would think that a new Awlgrip paint job should have lasted longer.

So Mark, what yard have you decided on? Colonial is the close one for you if your in the Main Channel.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Jeff,

So what's it gonna be. Avalon with a bunch of drunken tourists fresh off the ferry or Bugs and mango salsa at Two Harbors?:egrin:

We'd probably opt for Two Harbors even if that is 75 NM from our current slip instead of just 65 :xmas_grin .

We should just stay in the slip and do chores but we really do want to get out. I also need to get out and practice maneuvering as my lack of control in reverse is kind of embarrassing. Lew saw me try to back up to a marker, I think it took me 5 times before I finally got close enough to declare victory.

No matter what, we REALLY look forward to the boat time !

-Sven