• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone involved with their local Sea Scout Ship ?

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Thinking about my old Sea Scout days a very long time ago. Thinking about joining the local ship in Austin and getting grandkids involved:

Seems like a good idea to help keep the Ericson ship/shape and and getting young folks involved?

We used to race across the rough Corpus Christi bay in our 2 crew wooden Penguin class drop keel boats that we had to maintain, sand and paint every year. The winner of the races were allowed to crew on the commodores Raven class.

I guess nostalgia is popping up as age progresses. Did that for 7 terrific years. Here is my old S/S uniform...note that the hat still fits, but the bell bottoms are a little too tight!

Attachments

• 56086ECA-5299-421C-8206-58994E84A2B7.jpeg
    56086ECA-5299-421C-8206-58994E84A2B7.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 9

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Our sailing club hosts a Sea Scouts 'Ship'. They are very active in dinghies (Thistles, mainly), but they also have one keelboat that they use a fair bit too. They are all at the club this last weekend refreshing its bottom paint!

Lucky Dog

Member III
Best part of my high school years.
Super active unit. With over 100 kids.
Now days as teacher, four of my seniors have had to put their eagle court on honor on hold.
Once a scout...always a scouter

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Seaman Apprentice Filkorn started off in the Sea Scouts but jumped ship for the Sea Explorers because they had more fun and didn't have to cut their hair. Had a massive operation in H Basin, Marina Del Rey a few hundred yards from whee Thelonious 2 currently ties up. Great experiences in both organizations.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Sea Scouts appear to be on the wane around here. The Sea Scout base in Portland is being vacated and the boats may be sold. The only reasons given are vague "liability" concerns. Though I've heard some rumors that a few boats may end up as "guests" at some yacht club.

My Great-Uncles left me some Sea Scout paraphernalia from the 1930's and I always used to enjoy paging through the manuals and wondering at it all.

However, there are great youth sailing programs going now, and even a couple of high school teams based in my marina. Far beyond anything that existed when I was a kid. And there are opportunities to donate gear and fees for kids whose families can't otherwise afford it.

flashing888

Love the Sea Scouts and what they stand for.. Love them so much that I donated a boat to them a while back.. Love the idea of kids falling in love with the sea and sailing.. If I can help, I'm always there..

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Would love to get involved with them (and my Granddaughter ). I was never in Sea Scouts but I was in a US Boy Scout troop based in Trinidad (West Indies) when we were growing up. It was an amazing troop. We camped out in some pretty exotic locations :)

1911tex

Sustaining Member
OP here. Tried to get involved in the large Sea Scout troop in Austin; however due to C-19 for a year now, there have been no meetings or sailing agendas, which is totally understood...hopefully SOON!

Saullincer

Member I
Sea Scouts appear to be on the wane around here. The Sea Scout base in Portland is being vacated and the boats may be sold. The only reasons given are vague "liability" concerns. Though I've heard some rumors that a few boats may end up as "guests" at some yacht club.

My Great-Uncles left me some Sea Scout paraphernalia from the 1930's and I always used to enjoy paging through the manuals and wondering at it all.

However, there are great youth sailing programs going now, and even a couple of high school teams based in my marina. Far beyond anything that existed when I was a kid. And there are opportunities to donate gear and fees for kids whose families can't otherwise afford it.
Portland sea scout ship Beaver, and City of Roses are based at Oregon Tackle Marina on Columbia river next to Red Lion Hotel, Hayden Island. We have 6 boats here in good shape. We need volunteers to get things going due to pandemic restriction for kids meeting, and difficulties due to losing old lease. Anyone interested can contact me. Saul 510 672-1121.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Portland sea scout ship Beaver, and City of Roses are based at Oregon Tackle Marina on Columbia river next to Red Lion Hotel, Hayden Island. We have 6 boats here in good shape. We need volunteers to get things going due to pandemic restriction for kids meeting, and difficulties due to losing old lease. Anyone interested can contact me. Saul 510 672-1121.
Glad to see that they still exist. I head rumors of them disbanding after they left their long term 'base' on NE Marine Drive.
If you have a flyer or poster, pass it along. I can post it up at RCYC. We have a number of former Sea Scout volunteers in our membership.
Ee-mail: sailaway10 AT comcast DOT net.

Saullincer

Member I
Glad to see that they still exist. I head rumors of them disbanding after they left their long term 'base' on NE Marine Drive.
If you have a flyer or poster, pass it along. I can post it up at RCYC. We have a number of former Sea Scout volunteers in our membership.
Ee-mail: sailaway10 AT comcast DOT net.
I’ll check into it.