• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Anyone know what kind of rigging terminals Ericson liked to use on their stays at the mast?

willo

Member II
I'm plotting to pull my mast and will find out, but I'm trying to come up with an approximate budget.

I'm wondering what terminals Ericson like to use where the stays to the mast.

73 Ericson 46.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Depends on vintage and who built the mast. I'm guessing your '73 was probably built by Sparcraft. Aloft, they tended to use tangs in pairs that were through bolted to the mast and bored to accept clevis pins. The rigging wire typically was terminated with swaged eye fittings. I should add that sometimes variations occured even on the same models due to owner requests / specs. For example sloop vs cutter rig / inner fore stay, spin pole etc.
Martin

willo

Member II
Yes! Thank you. I sent a drone up the mast when I bought the boat and it looks like there's a big side-side through bolt just below the spars and at the top. All I was seeing before were the entry points for the cable. I'll add a couple of pics here for reference.

willo

Member II
My next question.... how the heck did they assemble that? loop a line to the eyes and get them up to the bolt maybe? Then thread the bolt through the eyes? I've used "threaded" wire to fish bolts through before....

Looks like standing rigging is definitely a mast down job to me.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
When I replaced (with professional help) my standing rigging it was tricky to find the older sparcraft parts - some were re-used but some fittings had to be custom machined. I second the suggestion to seek help from a pro rigger.