• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Are Circlip or Snap pliers needed...?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Are circlip or snap pliers needed to remove/replace the raw water pump impellor on a universal M20/5416 16 hp diesel engine, or can it be done with "normal" tools? If I need one, does anyone know what size is right, as there are several?

Any tips to replace the impellor?

Thanks,
Frank

Shadowfax

Member III
If you want to play around with a screw driver and pry it off and back on again, a major PITA. Go to Harbor Freight and buy the toll for like $10.00

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Helpful but not necessary

I replaced the impeller for years without snapring pliers. You'll need a couple of smallish screwdrivers and patience.

We have a set of the pliers now (thank you Harbor Freight) and they cut the frustration level dramatically. The one I bought had multiple attachments. I don't think you'll need anything special.

bayhoss

Member III
I don't know which pump you have, but if you have the Sherwood be very careful not to pull the assembly shaft forward when removing the impeller. If you do the entire pump assembly has to be removed and reinstalled. Use a screwdriver or similar to keep the shaft stationary while removing the impeller.

Best,
Frank

Frank Langer

Thanks, Frank. I had heard that about the Sherwood pumps, but mine is an Oberdorfer, and I don't think it's as sensitive to that problem.

Frank

chasandjudy

chas and judy
oberdorfer sherwood pumps

:jawsdown:
Thanks, Frank. I had heard that about the Sherwood pumps, but mine is an Oberdorfer, and I don't think it's as sensitive to that problem.

Frank

When replacing the rubber paddle wheels its advisable to put a little oil on the inside as you slide it on the shaft, and will disapear with the warm water after the engine is running. I had to change to a Sherwood pump because the parts to the Oberdorfer where not readily available.

Frank -- we must get our ships together this summer somewhere in the Gulf Islands or at the rendezvous. Bedwel Harbour June 20-21 /2010

Chas and Judi sv-eden E30+ and Lynne and John sv- Hilda Harris E28:egrin:

Frank Langer

Thanks. I can't make it to the Rendezvous, as we have planned a trip to Desolation Sound with another couple in June. But maybe we could meet sometime in the summer.

Frank

Emerald

If it's not too late, I'd say get true snap ring pliers, and I'm going to go out on a limb here, but go up in quality from what Harbor Freight sells if you plan on using it more than once -even once for that matter. Check this page out from Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=+snap+ring+plier&x=736&y=22&vName=

Stuff starting for $9 from OTC - not to mention the KD tools shown and of course Craftsman. And while the polishing isn't up to what it used to be 30-40 years ago, the Craftsman tools are pretty good, made in the USA, and you can walk into any Sears anywhere and exchange it no questions asked if it breaks, forever. So, start building a tool collection that works and is worth using and doesn't break, strip out, shear etc. I've succumbed several times to the Harbor Freight - "wow, that's cheap for that" allure - and 15 cuts later, or the bent rollbar, or the ...., I know why it didn't cost anything :rolleyes: OK, off my soap box, and for the record, no affiliation with anyone selling anything.

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
What David said

Frank, David is on the money (pun intended) with buying better quality snap ring pliers. The small needle points that fit into the ring have to be a good quality steel to hold up under pressure. The cheaper ones just don't have it. Get a good pair. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The good ones will take up no more space than the cheap ones.

Best Always,
Frank