• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ashes over my shiny Ericson 27

Sailingfun

Member III
Well, my friends in northern California...
Did you check your boats this week??
Your gonna find your boats completely cover with ashes.
Took me more than one hour to remove the grim and ash from the forestal burning.
Would suggest everybody a quick visit as soon as the air quality cleared.
...Bring water hose, scrubber, deck soap, and a lot of helpers... remove that black sh.. take time

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Four hundred miles south we have that too --a week of smoke and ash trapped under a widespread inversion, boats and cars fouled. Not quite so bad, but remarkable the spread.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Living in the metro area with (for several days) the worst air quality on the whole planet, I sympathize. Visibility must be about a quarter of a mile out my windows, at best. Ick.
:(

While not "equal" to our ash fall from the Mt St Helens eruption so many decades ago, this seems as bad in some ways. And the huge fires are nowhere near controled/extinguished yet - like California and other states many will burn until fall/winter rains arrive.
Double-Ick.

And, my friend has just established his live cam link on the Columbia River, from his little floating home at our YC. This is about the worst visibility ever for this area. Yesterday the Washington side of the chanel was visible thru the smoke; today not.
(Alternating cam views, out into the river, and the other looking across the moorage.)

Last edited:

Steve Jerromes

Well, my friends in northern California...
Did you check your boats this week??
Your gonna find your boats completely cover with ashes.
Took me more than one hour to remove the grim and ash from the forestal burning.
Would suggest everybody a quick visit as soon as the air quality cleared.
...Bring water hose, scrubber, deck soap, and a lot of helpers... remove that black sh.. take time
Same here in Oceanside CA, not as bad as you Northerners though. Cleaned it one day, next day black, with sea bird splatters, just lovely!

Steve Jerromes

Same here in Oceanside CA, not as bad as you Northerners though. Cleaned it one day, next day black, with sea bird splatters, just lovely!

Filkee

Sustaining Member
It's high in the atmosphere by the time it gets here so we just get the good sunsets, but I remember well the dusting we used to get in Santa Monica when Malibu would burn or a verdict would be read downtown. Did get me thinking we should all be sharing our webcams. Here's my mooring field at the Lake Champlain Yacht Club: https://lcyc.info/club/cameras

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Great idea Filkee, here is the webcam for Santa Cruz Harbor; http://www.santacruzharbor.org/harborCams/santa-cruz-harbor-web-cam.html

We were evacuated for 13 days during the worst of the CZU fire in Santa Cruz and San Mateo counties (still smoldering). There was so much ash on the boat that it clogged the scuppers when I washed it off. Bizarre fire, burnt right down to the ocean at my favorite hang gliding site. The iceplant was burning!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good idea. I started a thread called WEBCAMS of Member Ports, here:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Great idea Filkee, here is the webcam for Santa Cruz Harbor; http://www.santacruzharbor.org/harborCams/santa-cruz-harbor-web-cam.html

We were evacuated for 13 days during the worst of the CZU fire in Santa Cruz and San Mateo counties (still smoldering). There was so much ash on the boat that it clogged the scuppers when I washed it off. Bizarre fire, burnt right down to the ocean at my favorite hang gliding site. The iceplant was burning!
Takes a lot to get iceplant going.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Good news is that the smoke is about half as thick today. (I have one of the local air quality monitors on the outside wall of my office.) But the nuclear winter effect continues. Not only is the temperature 20-30 degrees below the forecast, it thereby shuts off the wind engine in The Gorge, which depends on afternoon warming, East of the mountains. Sailing would be a radar exercise, anyway.

This year, the big fires are far enough away, and the wind patterns different enough, that no ash fall has been seen at the marina. During the Eagle Creek Fire, three years ago, there were brown, black, and green fir needles covering the boat and the surface of the water.

Although the fires making national headlines are relatively far away, I have been on level 3 evacuation notice three times already this summer, for "local" fires. Been lucky so far! But at least it's been a good exercise in re-thinking the packing of my go-bags. The boat is the primary "go-bag" but in 2017, the boat was closer to the fire than to the house - I was just on the verge of moving it to a closer anchorage, when the rains finally came. In fact, the Coast Guard closed the river during the fire - our marina was full of stranded tugboats and cruise ships for a week.

1600195458317.png

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
The color of light has changed here in Vermont. We can’t smell your smoke but it’s up there somewhere.