• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Astraea

Steve Wall

Member II
Hello Everyone.

I ran into an Ericson 38 that I'm trying to gather a bit more info on. I'm purchasing, her as long as everything goes well. Her name is Astraea. Anyone heard of her or know her story?

Thanks.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding boat model: I believe that is an "Ericson 381". The yacht under sail in the listing photos is apparently an "Ericson 38-200," the aft-head version (which has a small additional portlight on the cabin house). The other photos show a well maintained 381, with its open cabin layout and forward head. The "Ericson 38" was the initial design run, with a privacy structure enclosing the quarterberth and a split starboard salon seat.

Yeah, they're all generically "Ericson 38s" but the small differences in models are notable. I happen to much prefer the layout of the 381, and of course not because I own one, or because it might be a matter of taste, but simply because I like to head forward, never aft.

Steve Wall

Member II
Thanks. I was really wanting to know the differences. I looked at others, one with that nice rear cabin, but I think the larger galley will be nicer to have in the end. I expect to solo sail mostly so additional privacy will be nice but less useful.

That said, have there been threads on the different models that I can reference for my own edification?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Christian Williams said: "I happen to much prefer the layout of the 381, and of course not because I own one, or because it might be a matter of taste, but simply because I like to head forward, never aft."

And that is why they located it forward and called it the "head" going back hundreds of years....guess why?