• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Atlantic ICW electric connections

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'm planning a jaunt from Charleston SC up to the Chesapeake and I need info on 50 amp connections in marinas. The question is are they 50 amp 125 volt or are they 50 amp 125/250 volt. The two are not interchangeable. I would expect 125/250v.

The last time I was on the ICW, 2003, I had no trouble with just 30 amp cords, but my son is concerned and wants to buy an adapter.

View attachment 37533View attachment 37534

jtsai

Member III
Most common is 30 amp, some have 50 amp/125v, 50/250 is rare. This observation is however biased, my sailing social circle of friends do not stay at marinas cater to "yachts" that might mandate 50/250. I carry a Marinco 50 amp 125/250 to 30 amp adapter pigtail so not have to use marina's loaner.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Most common is 30 amp, some have 50 amp/125v, 50/250 is rare. This observation is however biased, my sailing social circle of friends do not stay at marinas cater to "yachts" that might mandate 50/250. I carry a Marinco 50 amp 125/250 to 30 amp adapter pigtail so not have to use marina's loaner.
Jeff - That was confusing. You say that 125/250 is rare, but you carry the conversion pigtail???? My son wants me to buy the 125/250 to 30 amp adapter. The boat is not what you call a "yacht". It's a 35' Tartan. I'm old and don't want to come into a marina cold and wet and have no power, plus we will have small kids with us, his not mine.

jtsai

Member III
Tom, the rather expensive Marinco's 50 amp to 30 amp adapter pigtail works for both 125v and 250v. At least that is what's shown on Amazon site below. It also has 125v option only but about the same price.

There are cheaper non-Marinco alternatives but lacking the locking collard. The locking collard is more secure than just rely on 1/8 locking turn for prolonged use at dock but should be fine for marina hopping.

My marina even though small and low key but only has 50 amp so I invested new adapter and shore power cord for better night of sleep. The non-locking set came with the boat all had scorch mark at the female end and barely locks with the 1/8 turn, scary looking.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Jeff - It's a question of three conductors or four. The decision has been made: 125/250v, 4 conductor based on input from son's friends. Going with the High Tides model for about $24 less, also from Amazon, which is probably mostly advertising. Good enough for occasional use.

Thanx for the input

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Yes, and yes. On the 125v connector the ground is the Y pin. On the 125/250v connector the ground is the outer shell and the Y pin is a hot wire.