• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Autopilot head dry-off?

ref_123

Member III
Hi all,

my trusted Navman G-pilot probably swallowed some water/humidity over the winter. The LCD display does not show all the segments, but the pattern changes through the day, so I hope it's not a completely lost case. Any experience with drying off instrument heads?

Reps at Navico told me that I had a decent run out of the unit (is 5 years really a good run?) and proposed to sell me the refurbished head unit. Will go for it if there is no other solution...

Thanks,
Stan

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have had success drying out electronics but not specifically your problem. I used to soak RC boat electronics regularly. To dry them out I would dip the component boards in alcohol, air dry, and then place in a warm oven. The trick to using the oven is to preheat the oven to 180*F, shut it OFF, and then watch it carefully until it drops below 150*F, them put the parts in. Never had a problem below 150*F. I have also air-dried after alcohol dipping and just let time do its thing. Once dried out and functional I sprayed the component boards with CorrosionX. Once treated with CorrosionX I could immerse the parts and they still worked fine. This is no joke, I used to run 10+lb gasoline powered hydro's that could top out at over 80 mph. The electronics have to work or it becomes an unguided and quite dangerous missile. Good luck.

RT

ref_123

Member III
This may be a good idea

Thanks Rob. One issue is that I cannot open the unit - the screws are really "secure", they seem to use one of those odd Philips star-shaped bits but a really small one. Unless the oven trick works with the whole unit, I will probably try my small flat bits on it. May be someone knows where I can get a really small "star" Phillips?

The rest of the instruments does not have any issues, luckily for me...

Regards,
Stan

sleather

Sustaining Member
Thanks Rob. One issue is that I cannot open the unit - the screws are really "secure", they seem to use one of those odd Philips star-shaped bits but a really small one. Unless the oven trick works with the whole unit, I will probably try my small flat bits on it. May be someone knows where I can get a really small "star" Phillips?

Been thru the oven routine "many" times and even dried out a very expensive dive watch on top of the TV(TG it was pure Florida spring water)

Most hardware stores will have a selection of those odd bits that fit into a hex shaped driver. Picked up a really cool set from Black & Decker that has square, star, hex, all the standard bits, drill bits and small sockets for less than $20