• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

B&G Zeus Chart Plotter- Maps & Garmin SOG read out questions

PNW Jeff

Member I
The previous owner installed new electronics- a B&G Zeus chart plotter, AIS Transceiver, RayMarine auto pilot and the balance being Garmin instruments (3 displays). After replacing the wireless Garmin/Nexus wind instrument with a wired version I've got everything working with a couple exceptions.

1. Garmin not reading GPS for SOG. Two of the Garmin displays on either side of the cabin I have displaying the knot meter, depth and I'd like to show speed over ground. I've got them pointing to the GPS on the chart plotter- it recognizes the variable but won't display it. The RayMarine displays SOG using the same variable. Any thoughts on what I'm missing here?

2. Is it possible to download Charts from my B&G iPad/Phone subscription to the B&G chart plotter or do I have to purchase the Map download for the B&G? The previous owner had a chart subscription, loaded from an SD card, for the San Juan islands but it expired in 2019 and when I attached my iPad and Phone to the B&G Zeus as mirroring displays B&G was able to see that the maps expired in 2019 and uninstalled them.

Thanks!

Jeff

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
If the Zeus and other devices are on a NMEA2k, the Zeus has a selection for source data. On the Vulcan, it's two presses in the upper left, then scrolling way down the left side bar (I believe) to "Network" then down to what the NMEA2k is letting it select from.
That said, B&G doesn't always work seamlessly with Garmin or Raymarine.

I bought the chart ($200 iirc) from B&G for the Vulcan use their LINK app to show it on other devices. Works really well.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Maybe not relevant but I recently installed a new Zeus and other stuff. The SH radio would not display GPS data (Should be available from Zeus or the AIS) Turns out there’s an esoteric sub-menu that lists NMEA ”device numbers.” The documentation, translated from Japanese makes no logical sense, so I just had to poke at it for a while. Anyhow, the problem appeared to be two or more devices with the same “device number.” Had to reassign the device number for the Zeus GPS (within the radio) - just picked something random as most of them apparently default to zero, then it all magically worked. BTW, the Zeus shows up as about six different “devices” on the NMEA bus listing, but one of them is the GPS.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Maybe not relevant but I recently installed a new Zeus and other stuff. The SH radio would not display GPS data (Should be available from Zeus or the AIS) Turns out there’s an esoteric sub-menu that lists NMEA ”device numbers.” The documentation, translated from Japanese makes no logical sense, so I just had to poke at it for a while. Anyhow, the problem appeared to be two or more devices with the same “device number.” Had to reassign the device number for the Zeus GPS (within the radio) - just picked something random as most of them apparently default to zero, then it all magically worked. BTW, the Zeus shows up as about six different “devices” on the NMEA bus listing, but one of them is the GPS.
Definitely relevant and I forgot that step. I had to label the devices too and did so in the Vulcan.

Clearly the B&G coding is like Apple in separating the different functions (like apps) within what we see as one device.
The chartplotter
The wind sensor
The compass