• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Barient #18 winches- maintenance

corkhead

Julian Ashton
I was cleaning & lubing my winches ( First time) yesterday. The big boy #22 was easy to take apart, it has the plate with opposing holes on top. It unscrewed easily and drom removal was also easy.

The #18 does not have the holes, but the op guide indicates it has a snap ring around the edge of where the handle goes in. I could not see a ring or any way of taking the winch apart, any ideas??

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
check for an allen screw

Hi Julian,
Not sure which style of winch this is, but if it is a non-self tailing model they usually have a allen screw in the top down inside the star shaped hole where you put the handle in. Then the drum lifts off as normal.
Hope this helps.
Chris

BTW- west marine sells the all the parts for the old barients (pawls, springs, retaining rings, etc...)

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If there's no retaining screw...

I have a Barient 23ST and also a 21 and 10 (non ST). On each of them there is a hard to see and tricky to remove spiral retainer ring around the top of the shaft. Spiral exactly like a key ring, but much thinner and harder to get hold of.

To remove it I find the end and use a small screwdriver to pry it gently out of the groove, and upward, to help it not snap back in place. Once it's about 1/4 or halfway out you can just use your fingers or pliers.

If you haven't already, check out the Specs and Documents section of the site. There are several manuals (but none for the #18) there that show the ring.

Cheers,