• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Barient 21 Self Tailing Problem

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I have a Barient self tailing two speed number 21 on my 1988 Ericson 38, its for my mainsheet. Since I took custody of the boat last year it has screeched when cranked. I took it apart for servicing recently and figured out what was going on.

For some reason the four shoulder screws (pt# 24022) holding the selftailing mechanism together are too tall, and they are scraping on the underside of the line stripper. They are screwed down as far as they will go.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is there a solution/part to fix this?

Thank you for your assistance.

hodo

Member III
Could it be the PO used the wrong length screws?Maybe it wasn't assembled correctly some time in the past. How long are the screws? Harold

wheelerwbrian

Member III
The screws aren't standard of course, you can't buy them at Home Depot. They have a small section of thread then there is a flat section that rests on the "screw stop plate". Then there is a spring that runs from that plat to the screw head. I'm considering two options -- taking them out and putting in standard screws -- my concern is that they may "float" and unscrew. Or removing the plate and see if that fixes the problem...

Attachments

• winch.JPG
    winch.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 762

P Abele

Member II
I had this exact same problem on our Barient 27's (I think) a few years back and was similarly horrified by the prospect of replacing them. However, it's my understanding that the screws you are mentioning are an adjuistment against the spring which grips the self tailing mechanism which were overtightened. Just loosen them up a litle bit and the grinding will go away. We've used them for a number of busy seasons of cruising and racing since and they have worked great.:)

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I'll mess with it, but the problem seems to be that the screws turn with the winch body, and scrape on the underside of the line stripper which is stationary. I thought maybe something was missing, a spacer or something, but I don't see anything on the drawings, and the screws all appear to be the same part number for this size/series of which. This is the only winch I have that has this "feature" so its not a mix up of parts between winches...