• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Batteries location

maubin5

Member I
Hi,

I am a new owner of a 38-200 1990 and thinking about relocated the battery bank located under the nav station seat. the other bank is located in the lazarette.

Any experience out there relocating those? Advice?

Thank you!

Marc

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My backup (third) battery is under the nav seat. On the E381, with the galley to starboard and the nav station to port, that's conveniently right next to the house bank, so the cable run is short. I don't know if that's true of the 38-200.

We're supposed to have strong hold-downs, and at least passive ventilation even for AGMS.

maubin5

Member I
Passive vent? woudl that be just a little louver metal vent venting to the cabin space? Or does it needs to vent outside? The setup on the 38-200 is reverse of yours with the galley on port and nav on starboard

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think so--simple vents. With AGMS I don't see it as critical anyhow. There are guidelines from--American Yacht Council or somebody. Surveyors might see it differently, but common sense works here. I don't have vents in my nav seat, and the tie-down for my twin Group 31s is weak given the bad attach points, so I just screw the lid down for offshore stuff. I do think big heavy batteries should fit very snug, so as to not move around at all in a heavy seaway.