• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Battery Breaker Fuse

1911tex

Sustaining Member
What amp. battery breaker fuse do you have attached to the positive terminal. I have 2 12v marine batteries with no breaker fuses.....dangerous!!!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Depends on the size of the cable you have running from there to your main bus or starter and the voltage of your system. And choosing that will depend on your loads and length of the circuit. Mine are 200 amps. Atomic 4 takes up to 130 Amps to start.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Toddster: My engine is the Universal 25; would the 200 amp. battery breaker fuse be satisfactory? I have no idea the starting amps for my Universal 25.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Presumably you already have the right size battery cable in place (worth checking however... oh, those whacky POs...)
So you choose the fuse based on the size of your cable. See the tables here:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Maybe this guide will help those like me that can't figure out the AWG size of their positive battery cable in order to choose the correct fuse as per Toddster's answer above. For example, a 1 or 2 AWG cable uses a 200amp MRBF Terminal fuse #5191. I think automotive is a 4 AWG? Whatever, the proper fuse will lessen the chance of a FIRE!!!
Gauge Size (AWG)StrandingCable Diameter
1/01064/300.52 in.
2/01330/300.57 in.
3/01627/300.68 in.
4/02109/.0100.74 in.

Last edited: