• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Battery Charger Location for E30+ (none ever installed)

jacksonkev

Member III
Hello All,

I'm back! I sold my E29 last year and recently bought an E30+. She's a real peach but I do have a few questions as I get to know her.

One of the oddities that came up after I agreed to purchase her was the lack of a battery charger. The previous owner decided not to install one. I can appreciate simplicity but I also like the idea of being able to charge up the batteries while "plugged in" at the dock.

I was curious if any E30+ owners on here have...

1. Installed a new charger (or have good knowledge of your existing charger) and have any advice about where to locate the new one? This boat has an unusual layout. The AC panel is jammed in under the sink to port (different question all together but water and AC are not friends, no?) with tough access. My batteries (2) are kind of crammed in a well to starboard. I bought a charger and it came pre-wired with about 6 feet of DC wires (to batteries) and 6 feet of AC wire. Which leads me to my next question...

2. I bought a ProMariner ProSport 12 that is pre-wired with a AC wire with 3 prong plug. I didn't even think to check this as I thought they were all "hardwired" to the panel (or elsewhere). Should I remove the plug and splice this into my AC panel or elsewhere or install an outlet somewhere in the lazarette? Or exchange this one for a hardwired unit? Thought this was going to be a little more straightforward.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

ps-I read an older post on this site earlier where the owner was plugging the charger into an AC outlet above the nav station and plugging and unplugging everytime he had to go inside the chart table. No thanks!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
On our 1984 E30+ the inverter/charger is located on the floor in the port side cockpit locker above the fuel tank. It is close to the battery locker and the engine for wiring. Mine comes with a remote panel for monitoring battery charge and use located by the door to the engine by the stairs.
It's doable!
Frank

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Up North

Up north where my batteries spend October through April in the barn workshop. I installed a Mariner Pro Sport 20. Ran power from the panel to an outlet in a space I created to house the charger. It's strapped down for the sailing season and removed in the fall along with the batteries. You don't have to deal with the freezing weather so I'd go hard wired.

jacksonkev

Member III
Hi,
On our 1984 E30+ the inverter/charger is located on the floor in the port side cockpit locker above the fuel tank. It is close to the battery locker and the engine for wiring. Mine comes with a remote panel for monitoring battery charge and use located by the door to the engine by the stairs.
It's doable!
Frank

Thanks...I'll crawl around in the port locker (fun! I actually enjoy this part. My parents must have been part rabbit) and see if I can see where you're talking about.

jacksonkev

Member III
Up north where my batteries spend October through April in the barn workshop. I installed a Mariner Pro Sport 20. Ran power from the panel to an outlet in a space I created to house the charger. It's strapped down for the sailing season and removed in the fall along with the batteries. You don't have to deal with the freezing weather so I'd go hard wired.

Thanks for the tips.

I got a great deal on my ProSport 12 ($99). I wonder if there's any disadvantage to removing the plug and hardwiring the unit myself? Or are the hardwired (Mastervolts, etc.) that much better? I have simple needs. Just keeping the 2 batteries charged between day sails or races.