• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Battery question

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
Hello Jerry-

First, thanks so much for your time explaining / thinking about this. It is (and has been) incredibly appreciated.

Second, you've pointed me to something to check; I agree that it is suspicious that the Ah is about half the expected used load. As far as I could tell, the batteries are wired as "one big bank" in terms of the shunt being on the combined negative line (certainly the negative lines are jumpered together: in installing I attached that cable). I am charging (and running) them on 'All' which I think then combines the positive lines too... but what "seems" and what "is" may not be the same.

But I will dig around down there and see what I find out -- your guess seems very good re: possible cause; thanks gain for the suggestion, and general information.

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
@N.A. - In the Link1000 manual (pdf), it has instructions on how to connect the shunt (p.16). If your installation got disconnected and re-connected improperly over the years (or never connected properly), it will cause inaccuracies. Critical shunt connection items from p.16:
  1. Connect the black DC power wire (terminal 1) to the large bolt on the load side of the shunt. This wire should be on the top of the stack of large cables on the load side of the shunt. Do not connect this wire to the small screw terminal with the green shunt sense lead.
  2. Connect the green lead (terminal 2) to the small screw on the load side of the shunt. This wire must be one half of the twisted pair made up of wires 2 and 3. Do not connect any other wires to this screw.
  3. Connect the orange lead (terminal 3) to the small screw on the battery side of the shunt. This wire must be one half of the twisted pair made up of wires 2 and 3. Do not connect any other wires to this screw.
Also, I would recommend you clean and protect the shunt connections per the instructions on p.18 under "Maintenance":
Because the shunt senses very small currents, use an anticorrosive spray to keep the leads free from corrosion. (Do not spray the leads at the terminal block end.)
(I have read recommendations for BoeShield which is available at HomeDepot. Have not used it myself, but it is now on my shopping list.)