• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bent Wing - How to re-shape?

Mark Roberts

E34-200 Kingston, Ontario
I have a deformed wing keel from a rock impact many years ago. It is a fairly significant bend upwards at the aft end of the wing on the starboard side. There is also a bend on the port side but not as severe. The impact happened about 25 years ago when my father owned the boat. We have sailed her in this condition ever since. The keel bolts appear fine. The bolts I have easy access to are secure with no evidence of any issues. I have her on the hard at my property so I have plenty of time to work on this issue with access to tools that I may need.

I have searched this forum and also the internet and have had no luck sourcing how to re-shape the lead keel back to her original shape or as close to that as possible. I have taken a mallet to it. Some small deformities were easily hammered back. I fear repeated blows to the large bend may break off a chunk of the lead! Heating with a torch will make the lead more malleable but again I fear doing more damage. It's hard to get a good visual of the damage in pictures.IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

I turn to the wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. Has anyone had a similar issue?

If anyone could point me to resources, documentation etc that I could utilize to guide me in making this repair.

Of course the other option is to do nothing as she sails wonderfully in spite of the damage. But I know the turbulence over the bend is affecting performance to some degree.

Thank you everyone.
Mark

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Have you tried talking with a metal fabrication shop or someone similar who is familiar with metals, and may be able to advise you on how best to proceed?
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's lead I'd attack it with a hammer and a grinder and fairing compound. First, actually, I'd probably call the Mars Keel Company and ask for advice.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Just curious ... how did your dad damage the AFT edge of the wing? Going astern pretty fast? Boat got heaved up onto a rock by wave action?
Did he get stuck on the rock(s) for a little while, or bump and then float off?

Mark Roberts

If it's lead I'd attack it with a hammer and a grinder and fairing compound. First, actually, I'd probably call the Mars Keel Company and ask for advice.
I did contact Mars Keel and they don't do any remote advice due to liability issues. But he did warn me not to apply heat "Any heat could burn the gelcoat above the keel on the hull or you could melt right through the wing. "

My main concern is breaking off a piece of the wing with repeated hammer blows.

Mark Roberts

Just curious ... how did your dad damage the AFT edge of the wing? Going astern pretty fast? Boat got heaved up onto a rock by wave action?
Did he get stuck on the rock(s) for a little while, or bump and then float off?
I was with him. We were motoring about 1 mile offshore from Cobourg on the north shore of Lake Ontario. We missed a marker far offshore and the waves hurled us on top of a rock shelf. We were able to quickly come about and get off immediately with the help of the waves. This was before GPS days.... Good thing we were sailing a well built Ericson!!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Can you fashion some sort of clamp (a team of G-clamps sandwiching wing's edge between stiff boards) that spreads the pressure across the affected area as the clamps are tightened?

Mark Roberts

Have you tried talking with a metal fabrication shop or someone similar who is familiar with metals, and may be able to advise you on how best to proceed?
Frank
That's a great suggestion. I'll also talk to my boat yard who do a lot of bottom work. I am hoping a hammer method can do the job. It's still too cold in Canada right now, I would have to wait until summer when its hot and the lead will be more pliable.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Given that a modern fin-and-bulb keel is more efficient, and other EY owners have cut off a foot of keel and had it recast into two torpedo halves to be reattached.... perhaps you could take this "opportunity" (using the word very loosely) to cut off the old winglets and have Mars Metals make them into torpedo halves to be bolted back on.
Maybe too much expense and hassle, but maybe/perhaps worth doing a preliminary estimate.

Drewm3i

Member II
Good advice in this thread. I would caution against taking a hammer to a thin fin of lead that is already bent and damaged. I think this is a repair that needs to be done professionally, whether via a yard, welder/metal fabrication shop, or even Mars. I like Loren's suggestion about cutting it off and bolting on new bulbs in lieu of the wings. The metal is already damaged so I dont see it being able to be restored fully without heat or new metal being welded on to reshape the area. You could always go the partial repair and fairing compound route, but that seems like a bandaid.

Mark Roberts

Given that a modern fin-and-bulb keel is more efficient, and other EY owners have cut off a foot of keel and had it recast into two torpedo halves to be reattached.... perhaps you could take this "opportunity" (using the word very loosely) to cut off the old winglets and have Mars Metals make them into torpedo halves to be bolted back on.
Maybe too much expense and hassle, but maybe/perhaps worth doing a preliminary estimate.
That is an excellent thought. I have never heard of that option before. I will have to file that in the projects to do list. I have many other project expenses that will have priority over this one. But I will definitely get an estimate for future reference. Thanks Loren!

Mark Roberts

Good advice in this thread. I would caution against taking a hammer to a thin fin of lead that is already bent and damaged. I think this is a repair that needs to be done professionally, whether via a yard, welder/metal fabrication shop, or even Mars. I like Loren's suggestion about cutting it off and bolting on new bulbs in lieu of the wings. The metal is already damaged so I dont see it being able to be restored fully without heat or new metal being welded on to reshape the area. You could always go the partial repair and fairing compound route, but that seems like a bandaid.
I share your concern about taking a hammer to the relatively thin wing. You would hear me swear over all the continent if I broke off a piece of wing! I am now leaning toward fairing and smoothing, working with the existing bend. She still does sail wonderfully because she is an Ericson!

I have Loren's suggestion on the project list!

Drewm3i

Member II
I don't see a reason why you couldn't cut off some off the bent portion, effectively making the wing smaller. Of course you would have to do it on both sides.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What a bunch of weenies you guys are. It's lead, not Waterford crystal. Ever try to break the end off a fishing sinker?

I'd bring a roofing hammer, a 3-pound blacksmith hammer, and a sledge and have at it. If you don't like what's going on, stop.

Hands on first, call for help after.

Mark Roberts

I'm not giving up just yet. My son-in-law has worked with lead repairing old cars. He has also suggested to put some backing behind the bend where I'll be shaping.
I received this from Marskeel which is why I am cautious:
"I can suggest that you don’t use heat on the keel. Any heat could burn the gelcoat above the keel on the hull or you could melt right through the wing. "
MarsKeel advised it would be about $2500 to melt the wings and create the bulbs. Installation is up to the yard.

I know I need some courage Christian. Going slow and stopping if I don't like it is the plan. I'll start on the other side where the bend is much less and see how it goes. I will also still wait until the weather warms up. I'll report back when I get at it.

Thanks for the input everyone. What a great Ericson family!