• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bermuada at last!

David Grimm

E38-200
So it appears that things are finally lining up for a solo sail to Bermuda. I've never been to Bermuda before nevermid being off shore alone for longer then 24hrs. This is going to be epic!

I think I have all my ducks in a row as far as vessel preparedness. Epirb's, life raft, sat communicator, new jib, good main, and spares and of course all the mechanical equipment up to par.

The wife booked her flight and 5 nights at the Royal Hamilton Princess and I got a slip a little far away at the Carolina bay marina. The Carolina is 4.2nm from the Royal Halmilton Princess. Thats a long dingy ride. Probably a 20 min car ride. The Princess is booked for marina space and I couldn't find anything closer. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the boat at anchor while I'm in a hotel.

Any suggestions on a better "closer" marina to check out. The Dingy club was booked as well. My estimated arrival date is July 1st.

Dave.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Can't resist a brief excerpt from my latest book, "Introduction to Sailing." The sail to Bermuda is never to be forgotten. "And suddenly you're there."

"Our departure was into the green water of the eastern coast. It was summer, but that still meant foul weather gear at night, four hours on and four off, and in between gray skies, pounding waves and the pervading dampness of the open sea. A pod of dolphins at the bow can reveal the clarity of the offshore Atlantic, but it can otherwise look gray, and even foreboding-- the stratus clouds above familiar from land, and the breeze cool on the face. No nonsense. The North Atlantic is the ocean of convoys and submarines and Gloucester schooners laden with cod. It’s an ocean with a mood, and which imparts a mood--glorious or somber, and always, sun shining or rain lashing, the real thing.

"It’s green because it’s the ocean of the continental shelf, which for more than 100 miles off New York keeps the water less than 300 feet deep. It is the water of northeastern beaches, with their scent of salt and marine life. It’s the water of memory for those who live there.

"The first days of any voyage are days of adjustment to motion, and watch-keeping, and the duties of handling a boat. They were what we expected—familiar clouds, water sparkling green by day and a cold gray at night.

"And then, a day or two out bound for Bermuda, about 150 miles from land, on the horizon appears something new. And astonishing. It is a line of tropical clouds—cumulus, thunderhead-like, rising as if from uncharted land.

“That must be the Gulf Stream,” somebody says.

"It is the boundary line of a new world—marked by a four-knot current of warm water rising from the Caribbean, with its own weather attached. The boat enters it and the air temperature rises notably. In the sea, Sargasso weed appears--and flying fish. The Gulf Stream is only about 40 miles wide, maybe less, this oceanic river, but to enter is to slam closed the old door behind.

"Sometimes there are rain squalls and boisterous wind. At other times, the sea is placid but changed. I’ve crossed it five times, each a revelation. Once, when the wind blew hard in opposition to the current, we found ourselves in a gale with 25-foot seas so steep-sided that seaweed hung in them like pictures on a wall. It is opposing wind and current that makes them so impossibly steep, like standing waves in a river mouth. That was my first crossing, more than 50 years ago. I was seasick from both ends, and lay on the wet cabin floor in misery and embarrassment.

"But as dawn rose, that day long ago, I came on deck to a flat calm. The sails hung limp. The boat sparkled in new crystals of salt.

“Welcome to the other side,“ someone said.

"On the other side of the Gulf Stream lies the Bermuda High.

"The Timeless crew crossed in rough weather, bashing through seas that meant there was no need for Paul the cook to do any cooking for anybody. Woodward began drawing buckets of water from over the side, thermometer in hand. The first bucket was 68 degrees Fahrenheit. An hour later it was 85 degrees Fahrenheit, and we knew we were in the stream. And almost before we knew it we had crossed and were in light air, and cloudless skies, and the sun shone hot as if to bake the batter the Gulf Stream had made.

"The Bermuda high is a predictable area of high pressure that typically surrounds the island of Bermuda. Once in it, with the sea around us calm, we learned over the side to stare down into brilliant transparent blue for hundreds of feet.

"It’s just not something you get over, that sudden change in the world, not if you have entered it working the sails of a sailboat, hand over hand, watch after watch, in a transition that is personal for all.

"And which only a crew can share.

"The low, semi-tropical island is surrounded by pretty but treacherous shoals, shallows in which coral heads arise like sharp brown boulders to a foot below the surface. Its entrance is at St. George’s, through Town Cut, a jagged passage through towering rock.

"And suddenly we were there."