• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Best "all round" genoa for E26

BDEidson

Member II
<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 251); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 251);" size="1"> Looking for a little advice from you experienced E25+ and E26 owners....

I'm about to purchase a 1988 E26 (hopefully before week is out) and it needs new sails. I'm assuming that I'll probably order a 130% genoa. It'll be some time before I buy additional sails and this seems to be a good size "all round" headsail (roller furled). That's what I have on my Cal 22, which is also a fractionally rigged sloop. I'll have a small drifter from my current boat, but won't be buying a new one for the Ericson anytime soon.

I'll be sailing out of Boston, daysailing most of the time. We intend to do a fair amount of cruising as well. My wife likes being on the boat, but I basically singlehand it for the most part. I definitely don't want to deal with the hassles of a 150%.

Question is, has anyone led with a 110% and been happier with that?

Thanks,

Bill

BDEidson

Member II
Ideal Genoa for E26

Thanks, Loren -

I see myself in that thread - I was thinking about the same thing back when I first found the boat this spring. Now finally committing...

I like the idea of smaller sail for the easy handling. However, I know on some of the longer cruises with my Cal on light air days, it was nice to be able to pole a 135% and do wing on wing.

Bill

agraziano23

Member II
Bill states that he has a roller furler on the E26. Since you can them make a larger sail smaller but not a small sail larger :egrin: I think that Bill should go with a larger headsail. I have both a larger and smaller headsail, this summer I opted to install the smaller thinking it was going to be easier to handle, etc... big mistake! light air in the beginning of the season killed me..:rolleyes:

RKCRWLR

Member II
Genoa

I have a mylar US Sails 150 on Goin' Rogue. Its great when trimmed, but its tough to deal with and not very forgiving. Gybing is a PITA. Heading to weather, I have to bring the car all the way to the rear and barely am able to trim to get the lower windward tell to fly correctly. Farther off wind and its not such an issue. Its got foam and holds shape reasonable well when partially furled, but that said, I will be in the 135 range when replacement time comes.

I NEED A RUDDER IF ANYONE KNOWS OF AN E26 PARTING OUT!..... Tim

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Bill,

This is of course just my opinion, but I would always go with a good quality properly fit roller furling 150 Genoa.

By properly fit I mean that it can be properly trimmed when going to weather. That is, it's not so long that the sheet block can't be brought back far enough to allow for proper trim.

By good quality roller furling Genoa I mean that the sail can be trimmed well and will maintain a good shape while furled.

My current genoa is a 150. I had a friend of mine, a local North Sails Rep, stop out and measure my boat to insure a proper fit.

I previously had a 135 that also worked well.

Enjoy,
Bob

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Bob is right

The problem with the sail is that it does not fit. You need to have the sailmaker re-measure the boat (or take his form and remeasure yourself), and then send it back for a recut explaining your problems. It should fit and trim fine. Ideally I would design it so the clew is about 6-8" above the genoa block when it is fully trimmed in-just kissing the spreader tip with an even break on the Telltales.

Sounds like the leech and foot are a little too long. It might be that your track is not quite long enough for a 150%, but since the track length is the key measurement, this should have been obvious and the sailmaker should have told you the maximum LP he can build with the existing track length....

If the track is long enough, then either a measurement was not correctly taken, or your sailmaker used the wrong J dimension.

Bon chance,

S

Brad Johnson

Member III
E26 sail

I have a 135 on a furler an have been very happy with it for crusing. I would get the foam in the luff wich will help shape when furled. Good luck Brad

BDEidson

Member II
ideal jenny size

Thanks, Brad - that's what I decided, too. I'm having a 135% cut now.

All the best,

Bill