• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

best pressure water pump ?

steven

Sustaining Member
finally got fresh water (sinks and shower) working again. Then the pump died.

What's a good replacement? Rarely used so only need relatively low duty cycle, pressure and flow.

A web search turns up possibilities from $25 to $230 (many for rv market). Rather use something someone already knows about.

old failed pump is Shurflow 2088-423-344. Which appears to be out of production. 2.8gpm, 45psi, what looks like 1/2inch threaded hose ports.

thanks. --Steve

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
finally got fresh water (sinks and shower) working again. Then the pump died.

What's a good replacement? Rarely used so only need relatively low duty cycle, pressure and flow.

A web search turns up possibilities from $25 to $230 (many for rv market). Rather use something someone already knows about.

old failed pump is Shurflow 2088-423-344. Which appears to be out of production. 2.8gpm, 45psi, what looks like 1/2inch threaded hose ports.

thanks. --Steve
Hi Steve,
I have had really good luck with Shurflo water pumps. I recently had a minor problem with our 18 year old pump (maybe even the same model you have), so I called the Shurflo tech guys. He said if I coudn't get mine fixed, he would recommend this one as a replacement,and even thought it would fit the same mounting pattern. I was able to fix mine, so I didn't need the new one yet.
I think these pumps are equally good, and often used, in the RV world as boats and RVs run off DC batteries and use water flow similarly.
Frank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-101742_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-101742_Gallery.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Those little internal check valves can get a speck of 'whatever' stuck in them and allow a slow back flow and pressure reduction.. and then the pump kicks on again. Irksome at 2 am.
Before the pandemic when we were overnighting, ours was doing this; I thought of maybe replacing it again for the 3rd time in 25 years. Then this year in a multi day cruise it never malfunctioned once. Whatever was causing the pressure drop must have been washed thru.

I probably will worry about this again next spring. BTW, sometimes you can find a good price thru a sale at Fisheries, and other times at Camping World. Same pump, whether your "RV" floats or has wheels.
:)

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I installed this pump last year and works good with plenty of pressure, you can run it dry without damaging and self primes every time so far. It is also 1/2" so should hook right into your plumbing. If I remember right I think the mounting pattern was slightly different.

steven

Sustaining Member
Loren, any way to be sure the check valves are clear ? Rap it with my fingers (that makes the tack work).
Hate to buy a new one if it's just debris. I've removed the hoses in and out (caution for others, you need a plug for the hose or your water tank will empty into the bilge). That should make it run if not broken - right ?

Amazon has pump recommended by Fank and Dave (same model) for $115 + free shipping. Defender is a bit higher.

--Steve

Frank Langer

Steve,
Your water tank should have a shut off valve so you can close it to prevent water emptying into the bilge when you're working on plumbing. It would be adjacent to the water tank, buy mine is in a small locker close to the tank.
Frank

Frank Langer

Steve, about your non functioning pump - - have you checked the fuse, checked with a multi meter if you're getting power to the pump, ensure the switch is on, etc.? A buzzing sound means the motor is trying to work but is stuck, motor working but no water flow may be a blockage or insufficient pressure in the pump, which can be adjusted with an Allen key on the underside of the pump.
Frank

Richie 32-3

Member I
My shurflo 2088 423 344 just went bad last week. Called Shurflo they recommended this one as a drop in replacement. All fittings are the same but mounting plate holes are not exact so a new hole or two may have to be made no big deal, will install this week. 99 bucks was best deal I saw this one came in three days.

Attachments

• 2E6A7CC9-A115-4B35-A174-E09621D415A7.png
    2E6A7CC9-A115-4B35-A174-E09621D415A7.png
    597.9 KB · Views: 9

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, any way to be sure the check valves are clear ? Rap it with my fingers (that makes the tack work).
Hate to buy a new one if it's just debris. I've removed the hoses in and out (caution for others, you need a plug for the hose or your water tank will empty into the bilge). That should make it run if not broken - right ?
The imperial method is to see if the pump cycles to depressurize the line after an hour or three. If the pressure stays and the pump stays quiet the problem may be 'fixed'. :)