• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Beta 30 repower in a 1986 E35 mk3

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Last fall after my Universal M25 crapped out I decided a repower was the best option rather than a rebuild (I am rebuilding the M25 for resale in case anyone is interested). Was never happy with the 21hp output in the 35Mk3 when running into a wind or chop which happens all too often around here.

I ordered the Beta 30 on October 26. The local Beta rep advised it was a 4 to 6 week delivery. Well Covid had other ideas and the new engine arrived the third week of January. Since I had already pulled the boat to get started, I've had a few extra months of yard fees while I twiddled my thumbs waiting for arrival. But when it did, it's a beauty!

Beta 30 front.jpgBeta 30 Aft.jpgBeta 30 Port.jpgBeta 30 STBD.jpg

Despite the assurances and measurements of the Beta rep, we did have to modify the engine bed to have clearance for the tranny in back and the oil pan in front. I went with the regular oil pan rather than the low profile after being assured there was going to be room which did save me a few hundred and whacking out some fiberglass I suppose is cheaper to do anyway.

front cutout for clearance.jpg

Also figured out the shaft had to be cut back by about 4 inches as the prop was way to far from the cutlass bearing for my tastes. (this is before cutting it back)

Shaft too long now.jpg

But there is plenty of room in that engine compartment for the Beta 30 and it's an extra 9hp for only an extra 15 lbs compared to the Universal. Along with the ease of maintenance with the Beta I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

New engine in.jpg

Of course put in new exhaust hoses, waterlift muffler, hoses, repacked the stuffing box, etc, etc. as long as there was easy access. Hope to launch on Thursday and after a day for final trials and adjustments, start a 2 day trip from Port Townsend to her new home in Port Orchard.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Congrats, can't wait to hear how it performs. We'll be motoring north to the inside of Whidbey come Wednesday so we may miss you, but I'll wave from afar :)

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
She's a real beauty!

Curious—when you cut out that area where the front engine mount was for the M-25, was there a wood block under there that the motor mount was lagged into? Have any photos of it? Repairing stripped motor mount bolt holes always seems to be a head-scratcher on these boats.

I just had my prop shaft shortened last month due to the same concern. Two inches off the shaft plus removal of the nylon drive-saver (about 1.5” wide) brought the shaft length pretty close to spec.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
The cutout was between the engine mount rails, so didn't really see what was inside the mount rails, was glassed in on the inside as well. I'm assuming it's wood. It was in my E27 when I did a repower on that. Have glassed in the cut out now as well so any drips don't run down into the triaxial grid.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I can confirm the engine mount rails are wood inside. Had to drill through to run the cooling water line.

Finally got everything in and running and we made a quick run from Port Townsend down to her new home in Port Orchard a week ago. Just in time for the big snow that hit. Didn't know that a snow shovel was required equipment on a sailboat in the PNW but you learn something new every day. Made it to Manzanita bay on Bainbridge to anchor the first day and woke up to 14 inches of snow the next morning.

Manzanita bay snow.jpg
clearing deck.jpgPort Orchard snow.jpg

We finally got the deck cleared and made the last run to Port Orchard squinting through the blowing snow. Marina in Port Orchard was filled with snow/ice on the water. Something I'm not used to either. Felt like Washington crossing the Delaware.

I've still got a bunch of finish work to do. Reinstall fuel gauge, permanently install instrument panel, and modify the engine compartment since the B30 sticks out a little bit further in front than the M25 did. But that's all cosmetic. Also need to track down an air leak somewhere in the fuel system that was causing the engine to hesitate ever few minutes.

Was impressed with the speed I've got now. Was never able to get much past 6kts with the old M25. With the Beta 30 I hit 7kts easily at 2800rpm (3600 max). That's about hull speed as I was rigged for this run. Pushing more just pushed my stern down into the water. But I was running dry water tanks for this run. A little better trim might get me another half kt. All in all really impressed with the new engine.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Is the new beta a lot smoother than your M25 ? I have an M25 and it vibrates a lot and I have to fine tune the rpm to find sweet spots that don't knock my fillings out.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
The M25 had a couple of spots of bad harmonics at certain low rpms which I don’t have with the new engine. However when we pulled the M25 found an engine mount had failed so that might have had something to do with it. You might check your mounts and alignment.
Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
The M25 had a couple of spots of bad harmonics at certain low rpms which I don’t have with the new engine. However when we pulled the M25 found an engine mount had failed so that might have had something to do with it. You might check your mounts and alignment.
Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy
Thanks, I am having the local diesel service look at my stuffing box, but I'll also ask him about the engine mounts.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Is the new beta a lot smoother than your M25 ? I have an M25 and it vibrates a lot and I have to fine tune the rpm to find sweet spots that don't knock my fillings out.
I am puzzled about bad vibrations from you M25. Has to be a reason that Kevin mentioned...an engine mount? I don't like to beat my drum, but our M25 is maybe 80% harmonic free through all rpms. 900rpm makes a little vibe and smooths out above and below, but hardly worth mentioning. When you say it is bad enough to knock your fillings out...I am sure you are joking a bit...but still something aint right ! Sure it's not running on 3 cylinders at certain rpms with a weak glow plug on the fourth?

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I am puzzled about bad vibrations from you M25. Has to be a reason that Kevin mentioned...an engine mount? I don't like to beat my drum, but our M25 is maybe 80% harmonic free through all rpms. 900rpm makes a little vibe and smooths out above and below, but hardly worth mentioning. When you say it is bad enough to knock your fillings out...I am sure you are joking a bit...but still something aint right ! Sure it's not running on 3 cylinders at certain rpms with a weak glow plug on the fourth?
It kind of makes me wonder also . A month after I bought the boat , I had the local diesel service ( list ) go through the engine , replaced all filters , oil , impeller etc. he didn’t mention the vibration only that it was an older engine. it is the original motor, but I suspect it has low hours because of our location .

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
:) took me a while...

it sounds like more like like engine mounts in my case or maybe shaft vibration. List is coming over "some time next week" to repack the stuffing box (and maybe even how me how to do it without sinking). I'll ask him about the vibration.

Last edited:

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Sure it's not running on 3 cylinders at certain rpms with a weak glow plug on the fourth? :)

Couldn't resist.
Christian I couldn't resist my correction.."running on 2 cylinders at certain rpms with a weak glow plug on the third?" They don't call me < brilliant for nothing...

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Christian I couldn't resist my correction.."running on 2 cylinders at certain rpms with a weak glow plug on the third?" They don't call me < brilliant for nothing...
but it does beg the question. Why do marine engines have 3 cyclinders ? Is it half of a v-6 ? (don't laugh Porsche designed the 944 engine from half the V8 on the 928 - they didn't have a watercooled 4 up to that point). General aviation engines are all 4-6. I think most motorcycles are 2 or 4 (I have 2 in my kawi.).

1911tex

Sustaining Member
but it does beg the question. Why do marine engines have 3 cyclinders ? Is it half of a v-6 ? (don't laugh Porsche designed the 944 engine from half the V8 on the 928 - they didn't have a watercooled 4 up to that point). General aviation engines are all 4-6. I think most motorcycles are 2 or 4 (I have 2 in my kawi.).
I guess because ours is a Kubota tractor engine. On our family farm years ago...we had a 3 cylinder Minneapolis Moline, Ford, Massey Ferguson and another I don't remember the name...over 50 years of gas and diesel 3 cylinder tractors. They all seemed to run forever on hard duty.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I guess because ours is a Kubota tractor engine. On our family farm years ago...we had a 3 cylinder Minneapolis Moline, Ford, Massey Ferguson and another I don't remember the name...over 50 years of gas and diesel 3 cylinder tractors. They all seemed to run forever on hard duty.
Maybe for industrial purposes the inline 3 will be more balanced than a 2 and 4 cylinders overkill for low hp rating .

Kevin A Wright

Member III
OK next part of the project is modifying the engine compartment to clear the front of the engine. Because I ordered the normal engine mount configuration, the engine stuck out a little bit in the front. Couldn't move it any further back or the rear mounts would be off the rails.

Since the engine only stuck out too far near the top, I figured out to add some long wedges and just tilt the front cover out 2 1/2" at the top, enough to clear. Could have made it an inch less, but wasn't willing to give up the soundproofing on the front hatch. I also had to cut off 1 1/4" from the bottom of the front cover since it was now "shorter" being more vertical. The top cover will slide forward and I'm making a fill piece which will fit in at the back.

The next trick was I had to cut some clearance notches in the companionway ladder but that thing is plenty Skookum enough that it won't be missed. When done you shouldn't be able to tell any difference at a casual glance from the original.

Engine compartment mod top view.jpgCompanionway ladder modification.jpgrefinish engine cover.jpg

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy