• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bilge water mystery

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had occasion to use the Whale with a full bilge after developing (it turned out) an airlocked Rule. It was far offshore, and although the bilge was empty in 20 or so pumps, I was astonished at how much work it was, and at the prospect of having to pump continuously in the event of disaster.

A crew could keep at it, in shifts. For a couple, or for a singlehander, tough duty.

The handle needs to be longer than mine, which is about 2 feet: nice for storage, otherwise a bear.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I had occasion to use the Whale with a full bilge after developing (it turned out) an airlocked Rule. It was far offshore, and although the bilge was empty in 20 or so pumps, I was astonished at how much work it was, and at the prospect of having to pump continuously in the event of disaster.

A crew could keep at it, in shifts. For a couple, or for a singlehander, tough duty.

The handle needs to be longer than mine, which is about 2 feet: nice for storage, otherwise a bear.
I had thought about this scenario recently. after a little web surfing, found that you can buy household submersible pumps that use 12v:

My wife also recently purchased a collapsible garden hose that stores in a small pot. I was thinking this, combined with the pump, could be a good backup system to get water out in a hurry while finding a more permanent solution.

PS. I have 110 VAC version of one of these pumps and it saved us from a lot of water damage at our house when we came home to find a burst supply line on a washing machine.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Just received this in an email:

A Dry Bilge is a clean, odorless bilge.
Rule now offers the best, most effective method of removing almost all of the water in your bilge, leaving 1/8” or less, keeping your bilge fresh, clean, and dry.

The 360° rotation of this pump head gives this pump true installation flexibility.
Rule Dry Bilge Pump in action
Features & Benefits
• Drains the bilge almost dry 
• Filter-free design
• Self-priming to 9.5' (3 m)
• Able to run dry without damaging the pump
• Up to 4.0 GPM (15 LPM) flow 
• Back flow prevention 
• Connections for 3/4" (19 mm) hose barbs 
• Rotating pump head and ports 
• Compact and simple design 
• 3/4" (19 mm), plastic, 90° thru-hull fitting included

Tom Guild

E34 - Annapolis
I had a similar issue and finally cured it by tightening the keel bolts. No need to drop the keel, but tightening the bolts seemed to seal things nicely.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member

A Dry Bilge is a clean, odorless bilge.
Rule now offers the best, most effective method of removing almost all of the water in your bilge, leaving 1/8” or less, keeping your bilge fresh, clean, and dry.

The 360° rotation of this pump head gives this pump true installation flexibility.
Rule Dry Bilge Pump in action
Features & Benefits
• Drains the bilge almost dry 
• Filter-free design
• Self-priming to 9.5' (3 m)
• Able to run dry without damaging the pump
• Up to 4.0 GPM (15 LPM) flow 
• Back flow prevention 
• Connections for 3/4" (19 mm) hose barbs 
• Rotating pump head and ports 
• Compact and simple design 
• 3/4" (19 mm), plastic, 90° thru-hull fitting included
Looks like a good alternative to the submersible rule pumps . Even with no dips in the output hose , my rule 800 airlocks occasionally. The submersible/centrifugal pumps are not self priming , so if you let the output drain into the bilge , then manually dry it , the pump can airlock and fail to work . Unfortunately, I don’t have any room near my bilge to fit a jabsco diaphragm pump. It would have to be located back in the coffin under deck or engine compartment.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author

Rule's "Typical Application" diagram shows the pump remotely located out of the bilge as any diaphragm-type pump would be, so whether it pumps down to 1/8" or not depends on your strum-box or hose setup at the inlet. 240 gph is a pretty slow pump rate.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Result of this discussion I happened upon this device, which claims to remove all residual bilge water. Don't know it would fit between our keel bolts, but it might.

the pump

I guess it boils down to vacuum vs. pump. During my weekly bilge FOD, I sometimes find "stuff" that may be easier to block a strong vacuum than a screened pump? The Arid video does not show a screen..Just thinking.....

Also the Rule dry bilge pump is $243 !

Last edited:

racushman

O34 - Los Angeles
I accomplish this same dry bilge outcome with the same $50 fluid extractor I use for oil changes. It will pretty much remove every drop of water, whereas this Rule system still leaves 1/8". And it's not another system to install and maintain.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
As per Loren’s endorsement :) ..I bought a turkey baster from Amazon.. upon opening, my wife said “why don’t you take the old one to the boat . I need that new one with readable graduations” . So , I said ok but let me test them first . Both seem to work well with a shallow Pan of 1/8” or less of water . In fact I give a slight edge to the old one ....

Attachments

• 138EC24D-3862-46DA-BE9C-07102590A11D.jpeg
    138EC24D-3862-46DA-BE9C-07102590A11D.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 3