• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bilge water

reflections

Member I
We have a 1987 32-3 and are getting water in the main bilges after a rain. Am sure it is not from the stuffing box. If no rain the bilges are dry. Am talking about the main bilges, not the shower bilge into which the mast drains. The interior cabin shows no leaks. Any ideas where I should look.

CSMcKillip

We have had the same happening with our boat, i have sealed the mast and there is no other leaks inside to my knowledge. I did however find another source, the cockpit locker lid will dump water into the boat, the water seems to rush down the cockpot seat and right into the port side, then it runs next to the motor and into the bilge.

I am going to get some cheap weather stripping first to see if I can do a fast fix to make sure this is where the water is coming in, then seal it up with a better product.

Emerald

A light dusting of talcum powder will show water tracks nicely. Might be time to pull cushions etc. out of the way in suspect areas (around chain plates, under stanchions etc.) and see if you don't find some tracks after the next rain.

Slick470

Member III
Emerald will probably do a better job explaining, but the general gist is, if you dust talcum powder in dry areas, if a bead of water rolls past it will leave a trail in the dusting of powder.

You can then use the trails and subsequent dustings to zero in on the source of the leaks.

Good luck,

Andy

Emerald

Emerald will probably do a better job explaining, but the general gist is, if you dust talcum powder in dry areas, if a bead of water rolls past it will leave a trail in the dusting of powder.

You can then use the trails and subsequent dustings to zero in on the source of the leaks.

Good luck,

Andy

You said it just fine - that's the jist of it :egrin:

plus the stuff is easy to clean up in the scope of boat mung :cool:

pick

Member II
I had the same thing happen in our 32-3. There is a drain from the shower sump that drains via a short hose into the mast "bilge". If that hose connection fails (ours was fastened with sealant) where it enters the small mast bilge then that bilge will drain into the main bilge. (Somehow this makes sense to me)

Mike

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I had the same thing happen in our 32-3. There is a drain from the shower sump that drains via a short hose into the mast "bilge". If that hose connection fails (ours was fastened with sealant) where it enters the small mast bilge then that bilge will drain into the main bilge. (Somehow this makes sense to me)

Mike

I recently noticed that there was soapy water in the main bilge after taking a shower. Where and how do you get to this short hose that drains from the shower sump into the mast bilge?

pick

Member II
Hmmm.. I was afraid that question would come up. In Magic the hose starts under the teak drain sump and ends up at the bottom port side of the mast bilge. I was going to do a bang up job of replacing the hose until it seemed like if I took the old hose out I might not be able to thread the new on in. So I wimped out and resealed the old on in. It seems to be holding. Its amazing how a two foot length of hose can be so difficult to get at! If yours is disconnected at one end you can probably look inside the hole and fish the end back into the hole.
Mike

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Fixed it!

Hmmm.. I was afraid that question would come up. In Magic the hose starts under the teak drain sump and ends up at the bottom port side of the mast bilge. I was going to do a bang up job of replacing the hose until it seemed like if I took the old hose out I might not be able to thread the new on in. So I wimped out and resealed the old on in. It seems to be holding. Its amazing how a two foot length of hose can be so difficult to get at! If yours is disconnected at one end you can probably look inside the hole and fish the end back into the hole.
Mike

I looked into the drain hole in the shower sump and saw the end of the hose. it was not really connected tot the sump and it looked like the PO had something caulked into the hole at one point because there was old silicone around the outside of the hole in the sump. I couldn't pull the hose through the sump hole because I think there just wasn't enough hose. Then I remembered a plate in the port side settee, just behind the bulk head wall at the shower. I removed the plate, which was about 5" x 7" and was able to reach down into it and grab the loose hose and stick my finger through the sump hole from the backside. After a little thought I was able to "screw" a old QEST union fitting into the hose and then force it back in place till part of the fitting stuck though the hole in the sump. Then I used silicone caulk all around the fitting so water would go into the fitting and not around it into the main bilge. I tested this set up and water ran into the mast bilge.

I'm not sure if every Ericson 32-II has that access plate under the port sette or if mine was cut by a previous PO. If you don't have one you may be able to cut one to reach the hose. I didn't have my camera with me but next time I'm there I'll bring it along and take some shots for posting.

pick

Member II
Ahh Yes! Now that you mention it there is some (poor) access to the hose under the port side settee. Sorry that I forgot to mention it to you. Your solution is certainly more elegant than mine. If mine comes loose again I'll do what you did.
Mike

ref_123

Member III
Transom dorades

Some water comes down through the scuppers on the transom. At least when the rain comes with the wind :). There is typically a pool of water under the air duct...

Stan

Last edited: