• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bimini dimensions for an E 27

outahere

Member II
You know you married the right women when you ask her what she wants for Mothers Day and she replys " How about a Bimini for the boat?" :egrin:

So...

We have a 1971 27, tiller steering(hull 42). Any one have the dimension of the cock pit handy and any suggestions on the brand or place to purchase one? I've never bought one and really don't know where to start. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
Good and Bad!

Hi Todd,

Did you get a chance to install thwe bimini? If so, how'd it go?

Glenn

The GOOD

Installation of the bimini was a piece of cake. Everything came with the Taylor Made Bimini, except, I had to buy two rail mount hinges:

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststra2.html

I had to also cut a slit and sew a zipper to the bimini to allow for the backstay.

The BAD

I had to remove the backstay. I am not schooled on rigging, so I put a piece of tape on the backstay adjuster screws to know how much to retension it when I reinstalled it. When reinstalling it, I got about 1/4" away from the tape mark and "POP" the back stay broke. The tensioner has 2 "handles" that are turned in opposite directions to tighten, and I guess I loss track and ended up twisting the wire.

I have a rigger coming next week to give me an estimate to replace it.

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product. You can see in the picture that I used my main halyard to temporarilty serve as a backstay, in addition to my topping lift.

Attachments

• Bimini 1.jpg
    Bimini 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Bimini 2.jpg
    Bimini 2.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

outahere

Member II
Wow, looks nice!

Tough luck on the backstay, although it might be a blessing in disquise. I would think it would be really tough to snap a piece of stainless rigging, unless it has been weakened by corrosion, age, etc. Better to break at the dock versus while under sail.

outahere

Member II
Nice!

Nice job, looks great! We went to the Keys for vacation last week and stopped by the boat on Saturday night on the way home. The plan was to install our top Sunday morning, but the wind was kicking at 15 to 20, (unusual for Lake lanier, due to the storm off the coast of FL.) so we sailed most of the day and installed it Sunday evening. I got a stock, off the shelf Taylor made from West, 42" high, 78-82" wide and 60" long for $266.00. It worked perfectly. I have a tiller, so the Main sheet track is on top of the cabin. We'll try it out next weekend.

Nice video.

Glenn

Steve Mohr

stock top

Todd,

You mentioned picking up a stock Taylormade bimini for your E27. We have a wheel version of the 27 as well and would like to install a bimini. I'm not seeing what might be "stock" tops in the Taylormade website. What did you mean by that? I saw the page with the directions for measuring dimensions. Was that it?

Thanks,

Steve

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
"Off the Shelf"

Todd,

You mentioned picking up a stock Taylormade bimini for your E27. We have a wheel version of the 27 as well and would like to install a bimini. I'm not seeing what might be "stock" tops in the Taylormade website. What did you mean by that? I saw the page with the directions for measuring dimensions. Was that it?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I guess in using the term "stock", I just meant off the shelf, nothing fancy. If I recall correctly, you just need to find the model based on the width of your boat. I don't have the dimension I used handy, but I am pretty sure it matched what is mentioned in Post No. "5" here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?3699-Bimini-Pictures

I got the price and took it down to West Marine and they matched it, since they are a Taylor Made distributor. That way I got an internet price and a Brick and Mortar purchase. :)

Good Luck.

Steve Mohr

thanks

Steve,

I guess in using the term "stock", I just meant off the shelf, nothing fancy. If I recall correctly, you just need to find the model based on the width of your boat. I don't have the dimension I used handy, but I am pretty sure it matched what is mentioned in Post No. "5" here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?3699-Bimini-Pictures

I got the price and took it down to West Marine and they matched it, since they are a Taylor Made distributor. That way I got an internet price and a Brick and Mortar purchase. :)

Good Luck.

Excellent. Thanks, Todd. I do the "price match" thing through our local West Marine all the time, too; it works out well.

By the way, if you recall several months ago when I was trying to figure out the serial numbering for our 27, you had mentioned that it was possible for Ericson to have dropped the "1" before the "211" due to USCG twelve character constraints. It looks as though you were spot on. So our hull is actually #1211, which is consistent with the year of production. Mystery solved.

Time to head to the marina for the shake down sail of the new roller furling system I finished installing on our '63 Pearson Ensign (#220) the other day. I hope she's not too upset with me for adding a "modern" convenience.

Thanks again.

Steve