• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bimini for E35-2

Bomr

Member I
I am interested in adding some canvas to my newly acquired 1973 E35-2.
The boat has a dodger that needs to be redone, but I need something to provide a little shade while I am at the helm.
I am having trouble figuring out a good bimini setup with the position of the traveler at the rear of the cockpit and the relatively low boom position.
Does anyone have a good setup for canvas on an E35? I could really use some pictures to help me work with a canvas company. :confused:
Thanks,
Bomr
E35-3

jkm

Member III
Bomr

Where are you in Oceanside?

I come down there quite often, got a place over by the pier.

My hull number is 277!

John

Bomr

Member I
Ericson 35

I am near the Oceanside Yacht Club building on I dock, slip I-30. Stop by some time when your down our way.
Ron

chaco

Member III
The Ole Bimini Trick

Also looking in to ADDING some shade on the E35II.
The Canvas Guy and I went over the whole Dodger/Bimini Design and came to
the conclusion that I need to MOVE the traveler to in front of the Dodger
to gain any effective shade at the Helm. Would also like PICS from anyone
that has done a semi permanent SAILING Bimini on the E35II.
Not interested in fooling around with a Bimini to sail in light weather.

Happy Shade :egrin: :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmmmmmm...

Dan,
I humbly suggest that you expand your search for a qualified "canvas guy."
Lots (!) of boats, including most new J Boats, have aft travelers and big shady biminis...
Mater of fact the E-33 at our little YC has a large bimini over the helm -- and that boat has a bridgedeck traveler like my Olson.

Loren

:cool:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Dan,
I humbly suggest that you expand your search for a qualified "canvas guy."
:

I agree.

I got a quote once, for building a stainless steel frame to mount a bimini aft of the traveller/boom, with a notch cut in the canvass for the back stay. I do not remember what I was quoted for sure, I think it was $700 for the canvass alone. The design was for something that could be used underway, although it would clearly have to be taken down for a storm.

I really, really, think moving the traveller forward of the dodger would be a bad idea: it would make it very hard to use, plus that part of the deck was not desgned for that load.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

I agree with Gareth for a couple of reasons. He is smart as hell about boats, so when he says the coach roof wasn't designed for the loads that a traveler in front of the dodger will put on it I would think he's absolutely right. Gareth is one of those people who has been there and done that, personally.
Morgan Stinemetz

jkm

Member III
Gareth is right on-you'd create a nightmare.

Go to a Ships Store and get that small pocket sized directory, it's called the marine directory, has many canvas shops listed from San Diego thru Ventura.

I think Jeff_MC has a nice setup on his '72 35-2, Biego De Mar (?).

John

Bomr

Member I
E35 Canvas

I don't think I would be interested in moving my traveler. One of the things I liked about the boat was being able to access the traveler from the helm, when I single hand the boat.
I walked the docks looking for a good solution and didn't see anything. Hopefully, someone can share some pictures.

Chaco, which canvas company did you use? I know there is a guy on your dock and another on mine that does canvas, but I haven't had them come by and look yet.
Bomr
E35-2 #278
Oceanside, CA

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We live aboard our E35 mkII and last year had the ratty old dodger replaced with a new dodger, bimini and complete cockpit enclosure with panels that could be rolled up or zipped off all together, depending on the weather and the admiral's mood. We had the bimini done exactly as discussed above and have not removed it or taken it down since it was installed. We have had the boat out in several gales (34+ knots on the wind meter) and had it covered with snow in the winter. The admiral insisted on a tall dodger to enable our older bodies to easily enter and exit the boat. Initially I didn't like the idea, but must admit that over time, I have come to love the extra room it provides. I have included some pics to illustrate our setup. I have no real good shots of the entire enclosure from the outside - I will take some now that I know this - but have included a couple of interior shots done last winter as we had family and friends over to celebrate my birthday. If you would like more details or photos let me know as we are no more than 10 feet away from it at any time!
BTW, as an added feature, we installed a snap shackle attachment for the mainsheet fiddle block so it can be easily removed from the traveller car and clipped to a portside, rail mounted padeye. This keeps the inside of the cockpit clear and ready to entertain a good sized group of thirsty well-wishers!

Attachments

• Bimini1.jpg
    Bimini1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Bimini2.jpg
    Bimini2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 181
  • Bimini3.jpg
    Bimini3.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Bimini4.jpg
    Bimini4.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 140

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Mike - side profile close up pictures of where/how the frame attaches to the deck would be very useful.

Morgan - you sure know how to throw down a challenge to never be wrong.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

chaco

Member III
Yah...me too....more pics! Looks Great :nerd:
Is there a place for a live keg ?
What is your Harbor ? Are all slips liveaboard or a percentage / get on a list /
wait (2) years like here in SoCal ?
I used to have my Cal 20 in Sydney and lived in Harriet Bay, Quadra for the
Summer. Those were the days before kids and the RAT RACE !

Keep your Powder DRY :egrin: :egrin: /) /)

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Sorry for my taking my time getting you guys the pics - I WILL do that over the weekend. It has been very dreary and raining over the last few days, not the best conditions for taking good pictures.
I don't know about room for a keg. I'm having enough trouble building a locker for 10 lb propane tank! I can assure you though, we'd find the space.
False Creek Yacht Club in downtown Vancouver is where we keep her. We have a 3 minute commute to work. Our Club allows up to 10% of our slip total to be "liveaboard". As liveaboards, we pay an additional $100 per month to the Club for laundry, parking, etc. and we also pay taxes to the City of Vancouver for a "liveaboard licence" plate that we display somewhere visible to the docks. The licence costs us about $1K per year (based on waterline length!?). You MUST be a Club member (about $8 initiation fees) and you are on waiting lists for moorage and liveaboard status. Most people don't wait too long, but slips >32 ft. are in VERY short supply, 40+ foot slips would take years to come available.
We are kind of spoiled as 1 bedroom condo-apartments next to the yacht club (about 150 feet from our slip) go for more than $600K!