• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Blowing Like Stink In So. Cal!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
INNER WATERS FROM POINT MUGU TO SAN MATEO PT. CA INCLUDING SANTA
CATALINA AND SANTA BARBARA ISLANDS-
324 AM PST THU DEC 28 2006

GALE WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM PST THIS MORNING

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM PST THIS MORNING THROUGH
THIS EVENING

TODAY
NW WIND 25 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS TO 40 KT THROUGH MID MORNING...
DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO 35 KT LATE THIS
MORNING. COMBINED SEAS 10 TO 14 FT WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 12
SECONDS...SUBSIDING TO 8 TO 11 FT THIS AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT
NW WIND 15 TO 25 KT THIS EVENING...BECOMING NE 10 TO
20 KT. LOCAL GUSTY NE WIND 20 TO 30 KT BETWEEN POINT MUGU AND
PALOS VERDES PENINSULA INCLUDING AVALON. COMBINED SEAS 5 TO 7 FT
WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 12 SECONDS.:esad:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Greetings from Catalina

Still blowing pretty good. We're hunkered down at Cat Harbor. Looks
like it's starting to lay down finally.

Martin

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
You stay put for now Martin!

You stay put for now Martin! Here's a recent web shot of Cat Head. Looks rough out there.

Jeff

Attachments

• 017_Banning_06.jpg
    017_Banning_06.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 189

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Thanks Jeff. Our boat is just out of the crop on the right, behind
ballast point. We aren't going anywhere. Even the commercial
fisherman came in last night. Other than seeing 40 knot gusts,
having a great time. Happy New Year to everyone!

Martin

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Back at ya

Hey Martin,

Since I am here in Chicago, recovering from knee replacement surgery, I would love to be where you are-even with the conditions!!!
Anyway, Happy New Years-and good sailing!

Seth

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Jeff,

Can you post the link to that webcam?

On the 27th, it was gusting more than 55 at my slip and I was heeling 10 degrees at times. I guess my new genoa with the luff foams creates a lot of windage when furled.

I rescued two big stinkpots that were breaking loose in the marina. Damned brokers seem to think frayed shoelaces are adequate substitutes for dock lines on their 45-foot long, three story tall, gin palaces. One was threatening to break the finger float and crush my boat.

The stinkpot owners and brokers are bigger hazards than weather around here.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hey Mark,

What Marina are you at again? I changed slip locations at Cabrillo about a year ago from Berth 31, B-Dock to Berth 33, E-Dock which is right behind the Hotel. I went down to the boat to check things out on the 27th as well. I periodically checked the wind speed at my slip when it was gusting and the most it hit was about 26 knots. Even behind that big Hotel.

I saw at least two boats have their jibs unfurl and turn into shreds. One boat was on my old B-Dock. I am very happy with my new location. Last year I tried to save a unfurled jib on a Catalina 42 in the same conditions. There was nothing that my friend and I could do when it's blowing like that. It just breaks your heart when you see nice sails go to ruin like that. I am really glad I live so close to my boat now so I can check on her when it gets like that.

Your a good man to help out those stink pots.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
We're at San Pedro Marina, just south of the Maritime Museum and Fire House, on the main channel.

We saw you motor past us Saturday morning as we were preparing to leave for Two Harbors. What brought you up the channel?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yup, That was me!

Yup, That was me! I was meeting up with a friend of mine who is a Engineer on The Lane Victory. He has a Catalina 34. He actually picked up a friend of his right off the ship. The just dropped a ladder down and down he came to the deck of the Catalina. Pretty cool. We ended up just sailing around inside the break wall for the day. Only five Knots of wind all afternoon. I guess it's all or nothing regarding the winds these days.

By the way, I passed another E-27 with green stripes and covers going up the channel. Who was that?