• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bluewater boat

La Papi

I'd suggest you watch some of the longer running (multi-season) YouTube channels by solo sailors and couples that are devoted to long distance cruising. Most of them have at least one episode devoted either to the pros and cons of their current boat's suitability to bluewater voyaging, or to their view of the features that are recommended for the task. These people interact with a lot of other cruisers, who are always comparing notes on what works and what doesn't. There are a LOT of variables you have to consider, which can be narrowed down by your own plans, budget, experience and research.

If you are going to sail solo, or with just one other most of the time, do not get a boat that's too big (even if it seems like an irresistible deal): if you're mostly solo, look at boats less than ~40'. The bigger the boat, the more complex and expensive to maintain will be its systems, and, ALL your repair/replacement costs will be MUCH more with every step up in size.

As someone else said, you might want to get a cheap starter boat first (~28-30' max; with an inboard engine) and start doing some coastal multi-day trips. If you get it for a good price and you fix it up a bit over your first year, you can probably recover your costs when you sell, and put those $$ toward your bluewater boat.
Good luck as you go up this learning curve.
Thank you very much for your great advice. For the past year or so I have been watching different videos on YouTube as per your suggestion, and they are indeed a great source of information for one to digest. Regarding the size of the boat, at first I was set on a Valiant 40, not just because many experienced sailors were on a boat about this size, but I have since convinced myself that a boat in the range of 31 - 34 is probably the better way for me to start. That is exactly the reason why I was seeking for first hand knowledge on the 31 Independence. Given my first priority of safety, it appears that the keel and rudder of this model Ericson checks that box quite well. However, as I do not first hand experience with this or any other boat, I am seeking to lean for advice from those that have an intimate working knowledge of this specific boat.

Notwithstanding, I recognize that there is no substitute for personal experience and hence the adoption of the "just do it" approach.

Greatly appreciate your words of wisdom,

Ron

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Ron -

Another way to get feedback on a boat from this forum is to post the details of the one you are considering purchasing.

If it's Portland, I expect you are looking at this one? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/ericson-independence-3704335/

You could probably do worse as a starter boat. It looks like it has been very well taken care of and has been repowered since '79.

At $40K it's a lot to pay for a 40 year old boat, but it could be worth it in this case.

-Tom

nquigley

Sustaining Member
S
Ron -

Another way to get feedback on a boat from this forum is to post the details of the one you are considering purchasing.

If it's Portland, I expect you are looking at this one? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/ericson-independence-3704335/

You could probably do worse as a starter boat. It looks like it has been very well taken care of and has been repowered since '79.

At $40K it's a lot to pay for a 40 year old boat, but it could be worth it in this case.

-Tom
Description says she has a cutter rig, which is highly favored for cruising, but I didn't see that rig element in the pics. However, an inner forestay could be added VERY easily to an E31 since the forestay is already so far forward of the bow.
I agree with Tom - this one would be worth seriously considering. If she was $30K in similar condition, it would be just about a no-brainer for what you're planning. Over time, you'd add solar panels on an arch over the rear of the cockpit, a self-steering windvane, and probably a dodger. But you'd be about done at that stage. It looks like you could also fly an asymmetric kite from the end of the bowsprit without any further reinforcement.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
This one has a nice removable inner forestay on a furler (second-last pic) - showing you how it could be added to one of the 2 that are located close to you.

La Papi

WOW! you guys are absolutely awesome to follow up with me. Thank you "goldenstate" and "nquigley" on your remarks about both of these boats. I also did see the one that is in Everett and it is actually 3 years less old. My wife and I are planning a drive up to Seattle on the 6th of June and I am hoping to be able to make an appointment to see the one in Everett; I hope they will show it to me on a Sunday. With around a $14K difference in price, it sure leaves me a lot of cash to make improvements if need be. I also felt that $40K for the 1979 31 Independence seems a bit on the high side, but then again I have to take a look personally to see the condition of the boat. I will also be hiring a surveyor to get a professional opinion.

With the one in Alabama and the one in Everett, that's two boats under $30K in the market currently. I guess the one in Portland would have to have some exceptional reasons to be priced at $40K.

Hope you are staying cool in this heat wave we are getting in Portland today/tomorrow.

All the best,

Ron

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
With the one in Alabama and the one in Everett, that's two boats under $30K in the market currently. I guess the one in Portland would have to have some exceptional reasons to be priced at $40K.
Unrequested Observation: once boats get beyond about 20 or 25 years, the price can vary by 100% or more on two examples that are approx the same age. Both are likely worth the asking, totally. It's all about maintenance and upkeep.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Over time, you'd add solar panels on an arch over the rear of the cockpit, a self-steering windvane, and probably a dodger. But you'd be about done at that stage. It looks like you could also fly an asymmetric kite from the end of the bowsprit without any further reinforcement.
There is one near Portland, on craigslist that are (is?) selling off all that stuff, but as far as I know, not the boat. Someone from here?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Former owner used to post here occasionally. Ericson Cruising 36. Last I heard it was being refitted for a new owner, planning on taking it down to California.