• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boarding Step for Dinghy Access

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I noticed a certain hesitancy among guests last summer when it came to boarding from the inflatable while at a mooring. The E38 has relatively low freeboard compared to newer boats, but still, it can require confidence to make the step from quivering inflatable thwart to the gate in the lifelines.

The answer seemed to be a small platform to halve the stretch, easily dangled from the stanchions. I set out to make one, and discovered this, the Edson Boarding Step.

x1678557974400.jpeg

And it works. It's $350 worth of powder-coated aluminum, appropriately heavy, easy to store, and with all design issues solved. Such a step, although small, provides just the assist to make climbing aboard more natural and comfortable, rather more a luxury than necessity.

I confess that I bought it figuring to try it and if not impressed, to send it back and make my own. After a few days, however, given the shiny new quality and successful design, that began to feel mercenary--or something. To buy a product with the cold-hearted calculus of copying it? True, the offense doesn't rise to the level of the Alex Murdaugh case, but it is kinda icky. Yet the thing would be so easy to make! Especially if somebody else, namedly Edson, had already proven that the curvature of the hull is not an issue, but easy handled by two rubber standoffs, and the cant of the step not very important and can simply be a right angle.

I decided to keep the Edson step. Even so, I might as well innocently provide certain facts and observations for those who, without blame, might choose to construct such a step out of their own devices and imagination, associating certain proven dimensions without guile or guilt, in the furtherance of comfort in boarding vessels like ours. And besides, you can't patent an idea.

Some mahogany (OK, plywood), a few dados, attention to how the hanger line is affixed, varnish, voila!.

1678558012429.jpeg..1678558041638.jpeg.1678558068886.jpeg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That is a sturdy looking hardware. Here is a cheaper option, it worked quite well once the lines are adjusted correctly. It has not flipped under my feet, yet! It can be easily reproduced.

We have one one of those, from way back when another vendor was marketing it. It works, but is not nearly as solid to step on as the one-piece one that Christian uses (or a similar home brew version). I found it challenging to use their snap hooks, too, as they tend to 'jam' in the slots on our toe rail.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
We still using the stern swim ladder to transfer from dinghy to boat. I tie off the painter to the aft port cleat and tie off a second stern line, that’s connected to another cleat I added to the wooden transom of our inflatable dinghy, to the aft starboard cleat. This pulls the side of the inflatable up against the ladder and allows for easy gripping of the ladder while climbing aboard.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I'm planning on some sort of boarding ladder that's deployed at the lifeline gate and easily deployed/retracted. I feel it'll solve 3 problems: the existing transom 'swim' ladder is very hard to mount from the water (e.g., after a 'swim') without adding an additional step that hangs further down into the water, the transom pitches up and down in any sort of chop/waves compared to a side-mounting location (making it a bit difficult to use from a tender), and I want a ladder at the lifeline gap that's long enough to serve as a swim ladder and for use from a tender. I just haven't found a design I like enough to make or buy.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you are going to place steps/ladders to encourage boarding via the side where the lifelines disconnect to form a "gate" please consider upgrading your gate stanchions.
We added bracing to almost all of our stanchions many years ago. Still one of our best ideas for both convenience and safety.

The double bracing of the gate stanchions adds a huge measure of security for stepping on or off of the deck.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Great advice. Thanks. My gates already have the extra fore/aft brace, but I can see the benefit of some sort of lateral bracing.
I can imagine that everyone will want to pull on the gate stanchions when going up, or down. I would attach the ladder itself to the very base of the stanchions

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Stainless tubing kills my bare feet, and these solve that.

soul mate Capture.JPG

I considered a side ladder from Scanmar as the ultimate solution. It may be, but I couldn't get past the way it looks.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I got 4 of those step pads - a little fiddley to install (supplied bolts are only barely long enough), but a great solution for much more comfort with bare feet. … Needed to do some carving with a box-cutter, and shaping with a rounded rasp to get them to fit the bottom rung, which has curve corners (not right angles).

Filkee

Sustaining Member

View attachment 46250

I considered a side ladder from Scanmar as the ultimate solution. It may be, but I couldn't get past the way it looks.

Is that $30 per tread? A bit pricey if so.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I think I got them for $25 each, but, yes … pricy.
Catalina sells treads ~10” long that strap around the bars. The corner-mounted ones won’t slip, and it’s maybe a bit more ‘safe’ to wedge your foot in the corner between the horizontal bar and the vertical side rail?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We can make our own, if the spirit moves:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
We can make our own, if the spirit moves:

Christian I've seen you post before and thought, "Gee, that's a great idea!" But I never followed up on it so maybe this season I'll modify my ladder with the added steps. I do have the short (purchased) steps you show in your post above but they're not the best, especially for guest who are not use to being on a sailboat and expecting a trip up the ladder to be like going up their steps at home. BTW, the first couple of lines on your ladder construction, about guests and they're comments, made me think of a time when my brother-in-law brought his young son for his first time sailing. I was gentle with him by keeping the heeling to a minimum but it still freaked him out to tears and with him saying, "I'd rather be home doing homework than sailing!!" When did you ever have a kid says that?!

Saverio

Member III

View attachment 46250

good morning is it possible to have links for ladder steps

nquigley

Sustaining Member
good morning is it possible to have links for ladder steps
I ordered the SoleMate steps from Vela sailing (velasailingsupply.com)
CSJ48-560
With tax and shipping, I paid $53.66 for two.
I thought I was getting 2 pair - nope, just 2. I reordered 2 more.
I put two on the 'bottom' (curved) rung, and one each on the next two up - in alternate 'corners'.
Doing it again, I might have got one Catalina Direct pad (1" railing) for the bottom curved rung, and then 2 SoleMate pads for the next two rungs.

Last edited: