• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

boat is covered, still winter condensation in the bilges

Lucky Dog

Member III
Last winter was my first year with E35II. I covered the entire boat with a single tarp. When I took the cover off there was water in the bilge and on the south facing side shelves in the bow and a galley.

Can there really be 2 to 3 inches of condensation living in the north?

ml

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Condensation

I too cover my boat, mast down and I also have water in the bilge. No matter how I tape or tighten the tarp, I still get some snow build up. I have come to just accept it. If you really think about it how many mornings is there frost on your windshield, same concept. I have entered my boat during the winter and have been amazed as to how frosted everything is inside.
We tend to complain at how dry it is in the winter, but we are really complaining of the inside humidity or lack of. There is quite a bit of humidity in the air in the midwest and it logically builds and thaws

Last edited:
Solar condenser?

Mark,
A very interesting observation. I would like to hear from a more scientific source then myself, but I think your theory is right on. The sun hits the black mast, drawing warm moist air up, which then freeze at night. This happens with plumbing stack pipes, and the solution is to add a diffuser, that increases the outlet opening. If the theory holds true then changing the color of the mast might help a lot (obviously), and perhaps plugging any gaps or holes at the base of the mast that feed cool air up the mast.
Your post interested me in that I have wanted to try a more helpful version of this on trailer-able boats by using black ABS pipe to create a solar chimney, which would increase air flow through and pull moist air out the cover.
- Chris

Lucky Dog

Member III
I was using blue plastic as cover

I was using blue plastic as cover. I wonder if boats with white plastic get as much condensation?
Perhaps I should leave a gap where the plastic cover passes over the gunnels, letting the condensation drip outside the boat?

I have removed the pulpit and hardware and the mast is down. The solar vent is running and the I made vented panels for companionway.

delwarne

Member II
Theory on moisture ( mast up in the winter)

I just posted this question 2 days ago. Our 35-3 in the winter is on the hard on south Lake Erie shore, which means any weather is possible. High humidity as you might expect until the lake freezes over.
I believe that frost is forming inside the mast at night and then thawes when the black mast warms in the day because I can find little other sign of water anywhere else in the boat.
The "solar stack" idea is interesting.

P Abele

Member II
We have a fitted canvas cover on our E33 and which has been designed to winter the boat with the mast up. We normally get some water in the bilge which I assume ir rain which comes down the mast through various openings. We have issues, particularly in the spring, with condensation in the cabin sole around the mast base. We leave the hatches open and the cover breathes pretty well, but my theory is when the sun hits the cover on a spring day it really heats up that upper area leaving the lower portions of the boat, and keel, a lot cooler and thus attracting condensation. Ever since I finished swapping out the cabin sole a couple of seasons back I just deal with it and try to keep standing water out of the bilge as much as possible, regardless of the season.

Maine Sail

Member III
2-3"

2-3" of water is most likely not condensation. I'd guess you have a leak in your cover or when wind blows the rain sideways it finds it's way under the cover. The water on the galley shelf, working it's way to the bilge, sounds like you have some deck/hardware leaks to remedy.

Our boat is covered all winter in Maine and the bilges have dust in them by spring but none of my deck hardware leaks and water can get under the very edges of my cover as I stop it at the toe rail to protect the AwlGrip.

P.S. We have used blue and white covers with no difference in bilge water. Oh and if I leave my mast up I do get water in the bilge from rain coming down the keel stepped mast, just as I do in the summer, that's why I pull the stick..

Bone Dry Bilges:
92313408.jpg

Last edited: