• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boat purchase process

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
The sf sss had the results published on their site, but they were combined and sorted by place (?). I'm not sure. I brought it into acrobat and sorted by year (monohull). It probably doesn't make much sense to compare boats across different years due to differences in conditions. Surprisingly the difference isn't has much as I would have thought between different types of boats.

Attachments

• SHTPCombinedResultsThru2012-sorted.pdf
    157 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Now I'm not sure about the Westsail and the transpac. Might be thnking of the Pacific Cup: "Indeed, in the right conditions the boat can perform well, as seen in the 1988 Pacific Cup, won (on corrected time) by the Westsail 32 Saraband in relatively light winds. The same boat finished third in 1990."

I have this old SSS tally on my computer. The finish times of very different boats is interesting--and often a surprise.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
the version I attached to my previous message is the same list I pulled from that site and sorted in acrobat by date so the times of different boats in same race/yr can be more easily compared. (actually it was PDF -> acrobat -> excel -> sort -> PDF) . I hope they mind me reordering their data and publishing it here.

snowball

Hi Everyone! Thanks for the info above. First post to the forums here, looking at purchasing a '77 Ericson 35 Mark II. Survey should be completed next week. Any other thoughts/suggestions specific to this year/make/model would be greatly appreciated! Lots of work/care completed over the last 4 years. Actively used/sailed around up here in Alaska.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Hi Everyone! Thanks for the info above. First post to the forums here, looking at purchasing a '77 Ericson 35 Mark II. Survey should be completed next week. Any other thoughts/suggestions specific to this year/make/model would be greatly appreciated! Lots of work/care completed over the last 4 years. Actively used/sailed around up here in Alaska.

Glad you were able to get a survey . I was not so successful in alameda, CA

1911tex

Sustaining Member
My surveyor overlooked several items, but one big expense I had to incur...the teeth in the flywheel were in bad shape...creating a flywheel and starter breakdown two months later. That is not something the surveyor can examine. Starter is cheap...flywheel, you have to pull the engine. Just make sure you have an adequate supply of funds....20-30% over whatever you pay for the boat...I am talking only of bringing the boat back to your original expectations...then another 15-20%++ of stuff you want to add/upgrade/can't do without.....and that brings the boat totally out of the investment category...into a love affair.