• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Book Recommendation: Taken By The Wind

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Do yourself a favor and pick up forum member Mike Jacker's (@Joliba) memoir Taken By The Wind: Memoire of a Sailor's Voyage in a Bygone Era.

I just finished the book and came away with a palpable sense of envy of the adventure Mike and two buddies contrived for themselves after graduating from college. Securing a boat for their voyage, getting across the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, and across the Pacific to the lovely isles of Oceania. Honest, exciting, and well-written.

Mike - how did Louis make out selling the boat in Hawaii? I was left hanging.

Oh - one last thing: You can buy the electronic version of the book on Amazon for your kindle. However, the LCD screen of the kindle does not do justice to the lovely color photographs that accompany the text. You can pull up the same kindle edition on a phone or tablet with the kindle app and get a much better appreciation for the images.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Do yourself a favor and pick up forum member Mike Jacker's (@Joliba) memoir Taken By The Wind: Memoire of a Sailor's Voyage in a Bygone Era.

I just finished the book and came away with a palpable sense of envy of the adventure Mike and two buddies contrived for themselves after graduating from college. Securing a boat for their voyage, getting across the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, and across the Pacific to the lovely isles of Oceania. Honest, exciting, and well-written.

Mike - how did Louis make out selling the boat in Hawaii? I was left hanging.

Oh - one last thing: You can buy the electronic version of the book on Amazon for your kindle. However, the LCD screen of the kindle does not do justice to the lovely color photographs that accompany the text. You can pull up the same kindle edition on a phone or tablet with the kindle app and get a much better appreciation for the images.
Thanks for the kind review. So, Louis managed to varnish the cabin, get a new battery, and find someone to look after Rhiannon on a mooring near the airport. He also found a broker to list the boat for sale. About 3 months later the boat was sold for a reasonable price.
Louis and I have remained friends. I was just at his house a few minutes ago helping to fix his table saw. Clark races a J105 in Chicago and just won his section in the Chicago Mac Race. He has sailed in 38 consecutive Mac Races.
You are not alone. Everyone who makes it to the end of the book (which I know is a bit abrupt) asks me what became of Louis in Hawaii.
An audiobook with a PDF companion including the color photos and maps should be coming out within a couple months. I am just completing the narration and editing.
Mike

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Thanks for the kind review. So, Louis managed to varnish the cabin, get a new battery, and find someone to look after Rhiannon on a mooring near the airport. He also found a broker to list the boat for sale. About 3 months later the boat was sold for a reasonable price.
Louis and I have remained friends. I was just at his house a few minutes ago helping to fix his table saw. Clark races a J105 in Chicago and just won his section in the Chicago Mac Race. He has sailed in 38 consecutive Mac Races.
You are not alone. Everyone who makes it to the end of the book (which I know is a bit abrupt) asks me what became of Louis in Hawaii.
An audiobook with a PDF companion including the color photos and maps should be coming out within a couple months. I am just completing the narration and editing.
Mike
Great to hear!

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
The book is now available as an audiobook with a downloadable companion PDF from over 20 audiobook outlets.
Mike