• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bottom Paint

Hcard

Member III
I just bought a boat 32-200 1990 which was always in the Great Lakes and now she is coming to florida. I don't know what bottom paint does she have on, looks blue and leaves stains the you rub your hand over. What bottom point should I use here in Florida, specially considering what is already there. Thank you for your help.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Miami? Bottom paint formula is highly local. The nearest boatyard will have a recommendation, and maybe so will members specific to where you are.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. The E32-200 is a great boat.

Hcard

Member III
Thank you Christian, i am big fan of yours! I decided to buy the Ericson after i found you on youtube. In other words, you inspired me to take up sailing again. I love your videos and I have seen Them many, many times as mi imaghination flies with them, specially the one about the solo cruisin to Hawaii in Thelonius. They are so well put togther and is evident that you are a great writter, listening to you is very soothing and makes me fly to The evnts yor are describing. Read in two sittings “Alone Together“ and found It to be one of my therapies for stress and the BS that happens. It is a refuge. Finding an Ericson in Florida is Pretty difficult so it took me almos a year. The one I bought was up north and I hauled to Punta Gorda for Paint, Stepping the mast And preparing it for sale in the ocean. She Has never seen The ocean So I want to make sure is a pleasant experience for her. Thank you for your welcome words to the group and i hope to be so lucky As to enjoy the benefit of your experience and counsel. Thank you!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If it comes off on your hands when you rub it, it's likely an ablative paint, not a hard epoxy paint. Normally you can put an ablative over an ablative, but as suggested above, do check with local folks or a local boat yard.
Frank

Hcard

Member III
If it comes off on your hands when you run it, it's likely an ablative paint, not a hard epoxy paint. Normally you can put an ablative over an ablative, but as suggested above, do check with local folks or a local boat yard.
Frank
Thank you! Yes, i did go to the West Marine Locally and they recommend Pettit. I am going to be working on the boat during the week end, stepping the mast on monday. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I will have tone of them more!! Thank you.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
If you have an ablative paint now, you can simply wash it all off with a pressure washer (done immediately after hauling out), and, assuming you have a barrier coat, and no significant blisters revealed by pressure washing, you can lightly scuff the barrier coat with 80-grit and an orbital sander and paint on whatever paint is best for the water you're in.
I repainted my bottom last week (yes, I do mean "I" painted it), with this paint: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/interlux-ultra-with-biolux
(but, I'm on an inland lake - slime is our enemy, not barnacles, etc.)

One gallon of barrier coat (e.g., Interlux 2000e) or of bottom paint, is plenty for one good coat on a 32-3. I did two coats of each: I was pretty happy with how it turned out ...

1 port side.jpg

2 port quarter.jpg

Hcard

Member III
If you have an ablative paint now, you can simply wash it all off with a pressure washer (done immediately after hauling out), and, assuming you have a barrier coat, and no significant blisters revealed by pressure washing, you can lightly scuff the barrier coat with 80-grit and an orbital sander and paint on whatever paint is best for the water you're in.
I repainted my bottom last week (yes, I do mean "I" painted it), with this paint: https://www.fisheriessupply.com/interlux-ultra-with-biolux
(but, I'm on an inland lake - slime is our enemy, not barnacles, etc.)

One gallon of barrier coat (e.g., Interlux 2000e) or of bottom paint, is plenty for one good coat on a 32-3. I did two coats of each: I was pretty happy with how it turned out ...

View attachment 35688

View attachment 35689
Great, Thank you for your reply. By the way, beautiful boat!!