• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bow Cap Removal E30+

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I'm thinking of replacing my rub rail rubber insert so I would have to remove the bow cap and stern corners. My question is does anyone know if those screws are through bolts with nuts or just wood type threads ?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
IIRC, mine had one of each. Through-bolts to hold the cap on and a sheet metal screw through the insert. But this could easily have changed over the years and models. This is one of those things that I've had to "create access" to address, so replacing with all through-bolts now.

One of my inserts simply disappeared a year or so ago, so I'll be revisiting the issue. I used the vinyl stuff from Catalina Direct about ten or twelve years ago, and I suspect that it shrank enough to come loose. (But then why didn't the other side do so? Well, it's the side usually parked away from the sun.) IDK, remains a mystery.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Thanks Toddster, Yeah the access is non existent on my boat. If indeed they are through bolts I will either have to remove the anchor locker or cut access holes in it. I may have to try and patch the missing 10" of rub rail(which mysteriously just fell off) this season and do the big job in the fall.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well, they are on top of the hull-deck joint so logically, they could not be one of those things that was assembled before the deck went on.