• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bow light bulb replacement

Sam Vickery

Member III
I'm planning my first trip up the mast (God help me) to replace the bow light bulb. According to the manual there are two possible bulb replacements, the
Forespar 1367 or the Agusignal 904-00234. My preference is to only make one trip up the stick. Does anyone know which bulb I should take? She's a 1986 32-III. The worst case (other than falling) is that I take both with me.

Thanks,

Sam

North Star
1986 32-III

Sven

Seglare
Sam Vickery said:
The worst case (other than falling) is that I take both with me.

Bring with you a line so you can get tools sent up ! Maybe you were already thinking that and you just meant you'd have to _buy_ two bulbs to bring up ?

Anyway, expect the screws to have seized up so have access to something to lubricate and extract them against their will.

-Sven (sometimes known to speak from experience)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It has been a couple years since our big re-rig / spar-refurbish project, but I seem to remember that the combo steaming/foredeck light on the front of our mast was a Forespar. It still worked, dimly... but the lens was UV damaged and the whole fitting was in very poor shape. We tossed it and put on new AquaSignal combo unit -- partly because I had one of those on a prior boat for a decade and had good luck with it.
FWIW, everything we took off that spar (light/radio related) was truly at the end of its life span. Most stuff, like the vhf antenna and anchor light came off only in pieces due to corrosion and dissimilar fastenings. Anything with plastics had been abused by years of UV and weathering.
What with the old untinned wire having to be replaced anyway, we just started over.

Others may have different experiences. And, of course, YMMV.

Best of luck, and look on the bright side -- the view from the second spreader is quite scenic!
:)

Loren in PDX
1988 (Ericson) Olson 34

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Be safe...

If it's your first trip up, make sure it's a safe one! Don't forget, at least 2 lines on your chair/harness, knots only- no shackles, and a spotter!
FWIW, I'd take both bulbs up with me- then exchange the wrong one for an extra of the correct one to keep on the boat.
Chris

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, my 87 E-34 has the Aqua Signal bow light. The fixture is distinctive in that it has large triangular black mounting flaps on either side.

I had to replace mine this year, and the new ones use a different lamp, a
miniature bayonet base.

Make sure when going up the mast that the chair's D rings don't catch on the bow light. See above. :boohoo:

Attachments

• Aqua Signal 6M301902.jpg
    Aqua Signal 6M301902.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 331

gabosifat

Member III
I replaced my bow light with the same one as Tom's because there was an extra one on board when I bought the boat. I'm not crazy about these units, the steaming light is great as it is protected by a lense. The deck light on the other hand is always exposed to the elements & the bulbs tend to go all the time.

cheers, Steve

Sam Vickery

Member III
Bow light replacement

Thanks for all the suggestions. Tom, the images you attached were very helpful. I now believe I have a agua signal bow light. With the foredeck being exposed and no lens......might there be corrosion about? Perhaps this means replacing the whole unit. Has anyone used the LED lights in this location? Just a thought.

One trip up the stick may turn into two.

Thanks again.

Sam

North Star
1986 32-III

Shadowfax

Member III
I've had the same problem with mine. Whenever the bulb burns out, I go up and scrap the crud out and install a new bulb and all is well. I will admit that the unit could be improved with a sealed unit, so the next time I'll just replace the unit itself